Kelly: About a week ago, Holly and I were having a talk about...alcohol. What is it about it that attracts people to it? As you all know, we are a year over the legal age in US. I've drank alcohol since I've turned 21 less than a dozen times. Now I'm not trying to brag, but moderation for me is just a preference. When I was in Scotland, my roommates would either go out to clubs/pubs or have alcohol in our apartment. I was a bit shell shocked at first (I refer to such part of the kitchen as "the corner") because in Berea it's a dry campus. You would not believe how many people asked me "how do you survive?" The smart butt in me wanted to say well I'm alive now. But in all honesty being in a dry campus doesn't even phase me.
Ok, now back to moderation. I think that drinking alcohol should be for social events in MODERATION, not a contest or spectator sport. And someone PLEASE explain to me what the deal is with turning 21 and boozing? That just doesn't sound fun to me. At all. It seems in today's culture that's the default thing to do when someone crosses the hump. I think that's why I loved my 21st birthday so much. We were all sober and had the best time. A friend of ours was going to bring a bit of booze but we politely declined and said that at our 21st birthday that wasn't going to happen. Now I'm not totally 100% against alcohol, however I am against drinking just to get drunk and completely losing control. Mostly because me knowing me I am a person that has to be in control. At all times. Now...having said that, Friday night my parents were here and we went to O'Charley's. And yes, I had a margarita. It was quite tasty, but I was in a controlled environment with people that I trust.
This brings me to my last point. A while ago in Sunday School we did a series called "Guardrails" by Andy Stanley. Long story short, but as a Christian I have established a set of guardrails for myself; and yes one of them involves alcohol. Ironically this study was done shortly after I got back from Scotland. While I was there, there were a few situations where I wanted to "fit in" with my roommates. And that would have involved doing things/drinking things I normally don't. But I didn't. I realize now that one of my guardrails is simply avoiding situations in which I might lose control. And I don't regret it. At all. Now if you get something out of this, it's just maybe I don't understand. I really don't understand the point of getting completely out of control with yourself...just to drink and "have fun." I'm serious...WHAT is the appeal?
Holly: Here's my stance on the issue. I am not against alcohol. Period. I think it is a very enjoyable, social, and relaxing thing....when used responsibly. If you want to go home after a long day of work and plop down on the couch with a glass of vino, go for it. If you and some friends want to get together and shoot the breeze over a pitcher of margaritas, have fun. But what I don't understand is what is so appealing about drinking to the point of blacking out, acting like a blubbering fool, and not remembering a single friggin' thing of what went on. On more than one occasion I've had friends tell me "oh one night I'm just going to get totally s***-faced" and I just ask WHY???? Why do you want to risk harming yourself, others, your body, etc?? Not to mention just how quickly things can go south if you aren't in control. Which you aren't, p.s. And I'm with Kelly on this: if you are into that kind of thing and you want to tell me the appeal to it all, please feel free to do so. You will be welcomed with unbiased ears.
Personally, I enjoy a ridiculously fruity margarita every now and then (much like the one I had on Friday). At our apartment we'll have some Smirnoff ices in our fridge once in a while. I think drinking in moderation is totally ok. Not to brag, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a drink (an ENTIRE one) since being of legal age. And I'm not saying this to be a stuck-up snob, saying "Oh, well she's too good for alcohol." No. That isn't it. I'm just saying I've made a choice to moderation, which has kept me on track for choosing moderation in other food choices in my life (which must mean I'm doing something right: down 8 lbs since April, w00t). But anyway, next time you call me up and ask "Hey, let's go have dinner and I'll buy you a drink," just say when and where. But if you call me up and say "Hey, let's just go totally lose our )*(^*%&^*&^*&^*^&#*&$^@ and get schnockered and what not", I'm going to have to politely decline.
No comments:
Post a Comment