It's very fitting for me that the first episode of this newest season of Doctor Who is titled "Deep Breath." This, coupled with Gandalf's words and the words of those who have always had my back and will continue to do so, resonated with me as I hung up the phone this morning.
Today, another chapter in my life story began being written.

This morning I was offered an Americorps VISTA position, in conjunction with Berea College and an organization called Grow Appalachia. I interviewed for this position on Tuesday, after taking the day off from work so I could gain my bearings and dwell on just what I could be getting myself into. And today, I suppose that the Grow Appalachia team decided I can cut it. And I know I can.
I've had over a week to think about all of this, from the time I initially applied for the position until Tuesday, and even from after my interview on Tuesday until today. If you know me, you know I've tried to get my foot in the door at the college for quite some time now, but every opportunity I applied for never even got an interview, just a solid rejection after months of waiting. It was very frustrating, because I believed that God was calling me there. But this opportunity was different. Within an hour after submitting my application materials I was called for an interview (I'm really not exaggerating on that, either). I had my interview on Tuesday and was told I would hear something within a week or two, the following Monday at the earliest; I got the offer today. I know it doesn't make sense, but it just feels....right. It's not going to come without some sacrifices, though; as a VISTA I'll be making roughly half of what I make now as a lab coordinator. In addition to that, it's a 12-month commitment, meaning afterwards, there could be another open door with the organization, something at the college, etc...or I could be back at square one.
But that's something I've learned while walking with God and living in this world we live in: You can't plan ahead if you're trying to follow God's will. As a Christ-follower, I believe that God is sovereign, and He calls us to do various things, at any time, without warning, because He is God and He is in control. As a Christ-follower, I do not live for myself; I live for God. Where God goes, I follow in obedience and TRUST that He will provide for our needs. Because He already has. And I'll let Kelly share that bit with you all.
So that's where I am right now. These next few weeks are going to be a bit of a whirlwind as I transition out of UK and all the comforts thereto and into the trenches of Americorps and service and really living like the least of these.
Kelly: My thoughts will continue...after I eat dinner.
Anyway, now that I'm finished, I will continue. I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive at first, considering this will result in us having a drastic cut in our bank of income. And our Europe trip is now postponed until next fall, but these are sacrifices we were both willing to make. But to be fair, AmeriCorps is a really excellent organization, as is PeaceCorps, as a very dear friend is about 6 months into a 2 year commitment in Thailand. But as we were embarking on our almost daily evening walk, I found myself thinking about my last summer/year in college. I spent my last summer as a student working minimum wage as a facilities assistant...ok...I was a janitor, but hey, it was a good job. In my opinion its something everyone should do at least once in their lifetime. ANYWAY, but in my last year of school, I was working 15 hours a week making $5.65 an hour, and most of the time due to classes and clinicals, I wasn't even getting in 15 hours. I did the math, so that's...roughly $339 a month. And we were living off campus and had to pay rent, utilities, my own cell phone and the sort. Holly had just finished her first job at UK in November and soon after started working in Old Navy; that was her only job from December until I graduated. Then she got another job as a temp in UK's Department of Pathology. Between those two jobs, she was only making about $500 a month. Sometimes more if she picked up extra at Old Navy. Then, when I graduated, I didn't even have a job until August. So from the middle of May to the beginning of August, we were living only on Holly's earnings. And while I was in school, the two of us were living on less than $1000 a month. We were scared, to be honest. We struggled many times to make ends meet, but we got by. Thanks be to God I had food stamps. We prayed that God would meet our needs and bless us with what we had. And He did. Today He still continues to do so.
So why am I telling you readers all of this? Number one, it's reality. It was reality for us for a long time. But it was possible; God brought us through that time. Number two, God is faithful! He is gracious to those who pursue His best interests. Holly wanted to find something in her field at the time, and I was following God's calling by finishing nursing school. However, that faithfulness doesn't come without a price; we had to learn that His answers come in His time, not ours. And even when we couldn't see the light, God was standing right there, even if He was just holding a flashlight. So that's that. Things will be tight, yes, but I remember God's promises and the fact that He brought us through that and so much more! We will make it work, rest assured, but we'll be ok. I prayed this morning that if this is meant to be, then it will be. God will make a way. Thanks to YOU ALL for being so supportive of us, and please continue your support. We will covet your prayers as this period will bring so much excitement but new challenges as well.
2 comments:
This is so good. It's scary, but this is a great opportunity. Money and things aren't everything and postponing your trip doesn't mean you won't take it. Keep us posted.
It is scary, but God will take care of us. We actually for a while thought about going to Europe in the fall anyway...so it all works out :) Holly's actually thinking of starting her own blog while she does this gig. We will keep you posted :D
Post a Comment