Kelly: I woke up this morning, preparing for a seemingly normal Monday. My backpack was packed from last night and I emerged from a nice warm shower. I walked back from the bathroom to find my roommate talking on the phone to a friend of hers. She said "I'll let Kelly know since she's getting ready to head out the door." Confused, I grabbed my iPod and checked my email, noticing an email from the campus Public Safety. The first line read "There was a shooting this morning..." Reading further, I noticed that the campus was placed on lock down until 12:00.
The time is now 12:35. We are all still on lock down; the shooter is still at large, armed with possibly 2 rifles and a bullet-proof vest. According to LEX18 news (stationed about 45 mins. from campus), he was in the military and used to work for the college as a Public Safety officer. Two victims were involved; one has died and the other was taken to UK. It's scary, because we think nothing like this could ever happen to a small town such as Berea. But what I don't understand is what drove this man to take someone's life?
Also, the shooter "has a medical history." He served for our country. He used to WORK for the very campus I attend. What has happened to this individual? I pray not only for him but for the families that have been involved. In the mean time, I am chilling out with Holly and her roommate, trying to pass the time by reading what everyone else has posted on Facebook. Perhaps I will do some homework later, if this lock down remains for the remainder of the day. We've also received several rescue attempts (THANK YOU Middle Ages followers!!!!) We'll keep everyone posted as soon as we know any new information in the comments section. Thanks for caring everyone!
Holly: All of what Kelly said. I was getting ready for biochem and checking my email when I read my email about the shooting. At the same time my friend who works for the college called me and asked where I was; told her I was in my dorm and leaving for class in half an hour. What she told me was "No you aren't." That's when I read about the lockdown. That was about 4 hours ago, and the original email said classes and work were suspended until noon.
It's now 12:44, and we are still on lockdown, and will be until further notice. As bored and antsy as I am, I'm also kind of scared. I mean, this shooter was in the military, and was a former employee of the college, meaning he knows the campus well. He's been ruled as "armed and dangerous". Two victims have been involved, and one is dead. It's just sad. Really, really sad. It just makes me wonder what drives someone to this point where innocent lives and scared college students are involved.
I legit do not want to be here anymore. Like, for real, I just want to go home.
But i must post major props to our campus police. They have just been on top of it, keeping us informed and safe. So thank you, all of you. Berea students give them a lot of crap and right now they are on top of their game and I am really grateful.
We'll keep everyone posted in the comments section. <3
6 comments:
Hey ya'll, we're still on lockdown and waiting for food. Might post a shout-out vid later. Thanks for checking up on us!
My 4pm class is cancelled.
Hey ya'll (wow, news travels fast)...the suspect has been apprehended and the lockdown has been lifted! Thanks for your prayers! :)
I was in the science building taking my 332 test when I heard about it. Nothing to do but finish the test. In all I was in that building for 6 hours. My teacher (don't know how to spell his name) put in Finding Nemo in the Planetarium and then we watched most of Tangled. Oh, and somehow that got pizza for us for lunch for the whole building.
Catherine, that's so awesome!!!! Looks like you had a pretty good day :]
Yay Veillette!!!! That's amazing! Glad you made good use of your time! :D
It is really frightening...I can't understand what people think, but their minds must be very twisted. It's sad...but I don't know, if one could help them.
We once had a bomb alert on the campus. Nothing has happened - thanks God - but knowing you might be in danger is not nice at all.
Hope you're all right! =)
Post a Comment