Saturday, September 1, 2012

Miss Independent?

Kelly: On Thursday, as on typical Berea Thursdays, I attended the opening convocation of the semester. As a tradition, the President opens. Well, ever since July, the college has had a new President. Dr. Roelof's convo was AWESOME. It was simply titled "Why Berea?" As I was listening and after it was over, it gave me the opportunity to reflect on why I went to Berea. I would need like a zillion blog posts to answer that question, but for the content of tonight's blog I'm going to focus on one key part of why I went to Berea. Simple; when I first thought about coming all I wanted to do was be more independent. I WANTED to be away from home, just to experience it. And it did. Berea has taught me independence and then some. Ever since May, I have really had to hone in on those independence skills.

As you all know, Holly and I have had our own place since May. The wonderful times have lapped the somewhat stressful, but at times it has not been easy. We have had our share of struggles and have wondered how we're going to make it till next month at times. But for the most part, things have been really good. Only by the grace of God in my opinion. Anyway, Berea basically gave me a job and my own dorm and said "here's a roof over your head. Here's a job. Here's a full course load. Manage your time, manage your money and don't get kicked out. And we'll give you a good education." Wow. Honestly, a pretty good trade off if you ask me. And ever since we've had issues around our place, we've been the ones to take care of them, well, because we have to. Otherwise they won't get resolved. Yeah being on my own has been awesome but there is no more hand holding. So I will close with this; to those of you who are thinking about moving out and being on your own...think about it at first. REALLY think about it. Where Holly and I are now took MONTHS of careful planning. Also, be willing to make those financial sacrifices, because my goodness they WILL happen. And don't rush! It may sound like a good idea in your head, but don't wait until it's too late before you realize that you're not going to be able to handle it. But remember; decisions like this are never easy. And Holly and I realize we are not alone, which has made this so much more easier to handle.

Holly: Yeah...the months of planning, that's not an exaggeration, either.  I think it was back in November of 2011 that we started looking at places.  We were calling places by February.  In making a big step such as moving out of your parent's house, if you want it, you have to want it bad enough to take the initiative and put in the work and effort.  Going back on the subject of Berea, I also learned that if you want to leave something there, if you want to make something of yourself there, you also have to do just that: take the initiative and put in the work and effort.

Dr. Roelof's convo, in the grand scheme of things, honestly really didn't apply to me, but I walked away inspired and challenged as well.  What Berea taught me in terms of being independent and having pride in my work has really shaped me into propelling forward as an adult.  There really is no room for hand holding.  If things go screwy, Mommy and Daddy can't bail you out.  Sometimes I still struggle with that.  But at the same time, Mommy and Daddy aren't watching your every move.  If you want to go on a shopping spree, then by all means.  If you want to sleep until noon every day, more power to you.  If you want to go 3 weeks without doing laundry........well, ok?  Anyway, being on your own literally means being on your own.  You have the power to make decisions...

But I must also add, being on your own does give you the power to make decisions, but please exercise caution, because it is a GREAT deal of power and responsibility.  Proceed with caution.  It can be toxic, and a lot of things can go wrong very quickly.  You are responsible for you now.  Remember that if you're borderlining about taking the leap into independence.

No comments: