Saturday, January 16, 2016

Let's go to church!

Kelly: This is something that has been stirring around us just recently actually. And first and foremost, apologies for the lack of posts. 2016 has been off to a GREAT start, but new found friends, work, and other things have gotten in the way. Anyway, like I said, it's only been recently that this has stirred in us a desire to blog about this, but it's something I'm sure every church has experienced. Some call them not regular goers, I call them "Creasters," or those who only attend church on Christmas, Easter, one or the other or both. And then there's me. I am a member of one church by definition, another church I regularly attend doesn't necessarily believe in "members," and the third I attend twice a month on Saturday nights. Yes. I regularly attend 3 churches. Now some of you I'm sure are asking....well, why?

Because I want to.

Seriously. That's it. While it is a requirement of Christians to attend church and fellowship regularly with other believers, for me, it's a choice. It really is that simple; I want to. My needs are met each time at each church I attend and I get something new and exciting out of each one. I have connections to each one that I care very much about. And this isn't to say I have no intention of leaving the church I have called home for nearly 7 and a half years, no. Not at all! But it's really awesome and moving to see how God's people are working across Madison County; it's pretty incredible. Lives are being changed for Him!!!!! That's what's important. I'm not telling you about my 3 church attendance to brag, not at all. But this fact has had me thinking about the other end of the spectrum; those who for whatever reason used to go to church and have stopped going or "church hop," as I call it. They find a church, things go really well, and then they leave and the cycle repeats over and over. I'm still not sure why that happens, honestly. I think part of the reason is that for some reason someone feels ostracized or "bullied" is another word I think seems fit, and instead of just letting folks get absorbed in their...ostracized...ness? (ok....) that we as the church should be asking what led them away from their previous church and how we can make them feel welcome. Sometimes that may not always work, and it's incredibly frustrating. I've witnessed folks from my home church, regular attendees and who were very plugged in members, just up and leave suddenly. They've never come back. I'm not entirely sure they've been invited back. Why not? Those are the kind of questions we should be asking. And it's something that part of my churches have been asking and wondering ourselves.

So if you're reading this and haven't been to church in a while, why not? What's stopping you? If you're one of those "church hoppers," why do you leave from church to church? If you want someone to talk to, talk to me. I'd be happy to discuss and answer any questions you have about church. Because let me tell you, if it's the stereotypical "Christians" you see on the media or have experienced firsthand that you're deterred from, it's ok. I am too.

 Holly: Here's my thing on church: If you go to church, and then leave because YOUR needs aren't being met, because YOU'RE not getting fed, then I think you've completely missed the point. It's not about you.  It's about God!

I believe that attending church, regularly, is not only crucial in a Christian walk, it's obedience to God. I believe that when we attend church, we are responding to His faithfulness to us.  We are giving back a portion of our time and spiritual gifts to Him- He doesn't give us those things just for us to keep to ourselves. Because of that, I think the other things (the ability to meet physical and emotional needs, elements of service to the community and congregation, and fellowship among members) are the results, or byproducts, if you will, of attending in the first place! And as for it being crucial: Man, it is so much easier for the enemy to attack us when we're just by ourselves. If we're surrounded with a network of strong, faithful believers who are investing in you, I think you're a much stronger adversary against the enemy. And let's face it; God designed us to be relational creatures. We're simply not made to go through life alone!

Sometimes,  and I've heard many conversations over the years, people leave church for just all the reasons we've mentioned. While I'm not going to sit here and tell you that you're wrong, I would just encourage those who might be in that boat to stop and think for a moment: God often puts us in situations that are outside of our comfort zone. God often uses difficult people or circumstances to teach us about grace and how we should react to those circumstances or treat those difficult people. Because, once again, it's not about you.

P.S. While writing this we've mused at just how much we miss this, this blogging thing, so we'll be back on a more frequent basis. God bless y'all! Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment:

CamilleAshleyMK said...

Awesome post guys, love you both and can't wait to read more this year :)