To obtain a college degree is an excellent achievement, of course. However, obtaining a Berea College degree in my opinion is much more...different, for lack of a better word. I was blessed to have worked with wonderful educators who helped me get this degree. Some I knew for quite a while, some I only had one semester. Yeah...about that. One of the most influential professors I had I had my second to last semester, for just one class (you know who you are...). Others I had for the majority of my time here and were just THERE. If I needed them, they were in their office; I didn't have to channel jump through a plethora of graduate students just to find them! That's why Berea is what it is! Thank you God and for everyone He put in my life to get me through! ^_^
Holly: I'm proud of two things, really: first, and obvious, is my degree from Berea. I know, I know, that's what EVERYONE says. But seriously, I don't think many people realize just how big of a deal it is graduating from college, much less Berea College. I put a lot of work into it, I have a lot of fond memories attached to Berea, I've formed some lifelong relationships as a result of my education there, I've become a more educated and well-rounded individual and young woman, and my faith in God strengthened and was pushed and challenged as well (which, trust me, is NOT a bad thing).
The second thing I'm proud of is that, for the most part, I have succeeded in living on my own and holding my own. Yeah, there's been some scary moments, there's been some moments in which we weren't sure how we were going to pay next month's rent, there's been a lot of phone calls to Mom and Dad, there's been A LOT of penny-pinching (there still is), but when I look back I am proud of where we were and how far we've come. I've also learned, in these days of apartment-dwelling and semi-tight budgeting to become dependent on God. Completely dependent!!! He's brought us through and I know He will continue to do so! :)
3 comments:
Such perfect timing to write about that! And I agree, there's something that just feels special about a degree from Berea: when talking to friends from other schools they were always amazed at how hard I was working to pass :)
It's so true!!! Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to put Berea on a pedestal...but in a way I feel I have earned a more tougher, well rounded education. Just my opinion, but yes, special is indeed the word for it!
Oh my gosh, Camille, YES...it was a bajillion times harder to get an A at Berea than anywhere else. Considering I only had a few on my transcripts when I graduated, LOL! But we really are a part of a special, elite group of people. It's a pretty big deal to graduate from Berea! :)
Post a Comment