Kelly: A few nights ago, Holly and I were once again talking about the fact that technology seems to be taking over the world. The view were tackling with this post is technology and face-time with friends. I'll share a story. Over Christmas break, a friend of ours invited us to have lunch. We shared some brief conversations and catch-ups since it had been about 7 months since we had last seen each other. After about 10 minutes of conversing, she got her phone out as she had received a text from someone. Meanwhile, mine and Holly's phones were on silent and in our purses. This texting conversation with...whoever (she didn't tell us who it was) continued for the majority of the meal. Now let's bring this back; how would you feel? The impression I was getting from her was that she didn't want to be there, and I really didn't want to be there. It just felt awkward. I remembered the times we would just laugh and be stupid and stay up till 1 in the morning talking about stupid stuff without cell phones getting in the way.
Now please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT against cell phones! I sometimes feel very out of place when I don't have mine, especially when I make my 40 minute commute to work. Yet sometimes I feel really happy and relieved when I forget to leave mine off for most of the day. I think they're great; they're the only way I can get in touch with my parents back in Ohio. It's just a major pet peeve of mine that some people I know seems they can't even function if they're phone isn't right there. It's another pet peeve of mine when I'm with a group of friends and everyone but me is on their phone talking/texting researching God knows what or God knows who. What ever happened to unattached and unchained actual face to face time with people? Seems like it's a lost art these days.
Holly: It really baffles me just how wrapped up our society has become on viewing the world through a small screen. Earlier in the week I was grumbling about how I had to charge my cell phone again (I turn mine off at night), and I mentioned to a co-worker that I usually have to charge my phone 1-2 times a week. He was shocked; he said "That's not a lot." No, it's not. With the exception of texts to Kelly, random texts here and there and random phone calls to home, my cell phone does not get much use. It drove me crazy in college when my friends would moan and groan about how little sleep they got because people were texting them all night. Um...how about you turn your phone off? "Oh gosh no, I could never do that!" was usually the reply. Well then....kwitchawhining. I know it's blunt and I know it's rude, but you CAN turn your phone off every now and then.
Something else that baffles me is Face Time. Ok, really? You are not having a conversation with someone's face...you are having a conversation with someone's face ON A SMALL SCREEN. Face time, to me, is actually sitting across the way at someone's FACE. I'm all about keeping in touch...but really? I ride a shuttle from UK stadium to campus, and every morning and afternoon, about 90% of the passengers are just attached and totally absorbed in their phones. Most days I crave face-to-face conversation. although, sadly, I now prefer to text rather than call (I'm working on that...). Seriously, though. Put the phone down, look out the window, put some music on, or God forbid actually have a conversation with the person sitting next to you (This has happened to me on numerous occasions and it always brings a smile to my face).
In about a week or so Kelly and I are going to be getting smartphones. I really hope we don't become one of "those" people. But here's my guarantee: whenever I meet with you, for whatever reason, my phone will be away and on silent, unless it's an emergency. I believe one of the most important things we can give someone is our time; let's shoot for 100%. We owe it to those we care about.
Let's try to unplug ourselves a little more each day...

4 comments:
Amen.
I am one of those people that does spend quite a bit of time on my phone: facebook, email, twitter, instagram etc. But I try very hard to keep my phone away when with someone, especially catching up with an old friend.
I wish more people thought like this and enjoyed the people they were lucky enough to be with!
And I have NOTHING against phones. For goodness sake, I just ordered a smartphone! I think relationships are so much more vital than information on a screen. I see it all the time now, it's really sad.
When I was living on my own and had no internet and very little money for my pay-as-you-go phone--I was cut off. Oddly enough, I loved it. I was reading 5 books at once and being cut-off made me appreciate the time I have with people. My phone hardly ever goes off and I'm okay with that. :-)
I have lots of friends that keep theirs on all the time too...for good reason. Some don't. I normally turn mine off at bedtime, except this weekend (on-call at work). I think that it's just a preference. Catherine, I'm glad you had more face time when all the techno stuff was gone. Maybe we could all try that for one day. Just have a "free day" from phones, computers, etc.
Post a Comment