Thursday, November 14, 2013

Heroes among us

Holly: This past Sunday, the sermon at church was about heroes, not only how everyone has them but that we ought to be one as well.  Something the whole "hero complex" thing tends to leave out, huh?  Anyway, I posted a little diddy on Facebook, but didn't get much of a response (which is fine.  Half the time I post stuff just for my own enjoyment. ha).  So we decided to branch out on this and not only mention our heroes, but why, perhaps...

~Jesus.  Now I'm not going to go all preachy on you all, because you have your beliefs and I have mine.  But ever since I became a Christian, life has not been the same for me, and I'm trying not to sound horrendously cliche...but it's true.  I look at the world differently, I don't stress about things, I have more joy in my life (REAL joy), I have hope for the future...I could go on and on.  And I will just leave it at that.  :)

~ My parents.  Again, could go on and on about this.  They have supported me and all my craziness/foolishness/broke-ness/silliness, etc, they love me and tell me often.  I consider my mom one of my best friends.  I hope to be half the parents mine are, if I cross that bridge someday.

~My grandpa.  He passed away this year, on our birthday.  He lived a life of what I like to call "quiet grace"; he loved the Lord, he loved his family, he loved his work, but was never "in your face", never outspoken.  I think he was one of the first people to tell me about Jesus.  He always encouraged me in my faith journey.  I miss him still and think of him often, but I know he is at peace, reunited with my grandmother and his family.

~My advisor from my college days.  I learned more about life, other people, and myself from hours and hours spent in his office talking than any Berea College course I took.  I'm grateful that I was an advisee and student of his, because he has moved on from Berea College and is onto another chapter in his life, as I am with mine.

~Missionaries.  Takes a lot of courage to travel to an unfamiliar place and share something so personal with complete strangers.  Yet thousands do it, voluntarily, every single day.

~Single parents.  I can't imagine raising a child with a strong support system.  By yourself...seems nearly impossible.  You have my immense respect, all you single moms (and dads!!) out there.

~My pastor and his wife.  I met them at a challenging, scary, and change-filled time in my life, and they just welcomed Kelly and I with open arms and basically allowed us to become part of their family.  Now five years, 2 Bachelor's degrees, a Master's degree, 2 kids, and a lot of lunch dates later, and I now consider them both dear friends.  They really do walk the walk and talk the talk, and it's so rare these days.

~Bilbo Baggins.  Yes, I know he isn't real.  But you have this ordinary, small, well-meaning hobbit who enjoys his food and his quiet and his things, and he gets swept away on this incredible journey and ultimately becomes the hero of the story.

~Paul.  Starts out persecuting Christians.  Becomes one.  Speaks for many and changes lives.  You can't make that stuff up.

Kelly: I have an addendum or two to add to this list:

~My parents, but here's my view. They raised me to not only love other but to love myself as well. I never hit my siblings and did my best to obey them. Call me a goody-goody, a teacher's pet, whatever. Seems like its a lost art these days.

~My friends. I am so happy and blessed to have such a diverse group of individuals that I am close to. Some of my friends have gone through unimaginable junk in their lives but have not let that junk define them. We are all going through walks of life but are bonded by friendly love.

~Anyone who is going through a physical or mental illness and has decided to seek help and/or treatment in some way not because they are forced to but because they WANT to. They want to better themselves and they want to invest in a better life for themselves and for their family and friends.

~Veterans, past and present. You all know what you did and have done for our country. Words cannot express my sincere gratitude. I would not have what I have if it wasn't for you all. Thank you!

So there you have it. Who are your heroes? Whose hero are you?

No comments: