Sunday, December 15, 2013

Smaug, as seen by H and K: A hasty review

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN "THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG" YET, PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.  MAJOR SPOILERS LIE WITHIN.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Holly: I'll be totally honest, going into this I had absolutely no idea what to expect.  Ok, that's not entirely true: I knew that we were going to see Smaug (I mean...duh).  I knew that we were going to see Laketown.  I knew there was going to be more stuff about The Ring.  Aside from that, that's basically all I had to go on. There hadn't been much in terms of advertising: we watched two production blogs from Peter Jackson, one live streaming of the premiere in LA, and a couple TV spots here and there.  Compared to AUJ, there was a LOT less media hype.

I'm glad there was a lot less hype.  The Desolation of Smaug was leaps and bounds better than what I expected.  Leaps.  And.  Bounds.

I'm not going to delve into all my favorite bits, because, quite frankly, that'd be a whole other post in it of itself (Yes, I really did enjoy it that much).  I will share a few things I liked though:

1. SMAUG.  Oh. my. gosh.  Oh my gosh!  Guys, I'm 23 and I was scared, ok?  Benedict Cumberbatch was PERFECT.  Just perfect.  I looooooooooooovvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddd his voice.  And I think a lot of people forget that he literally WAS Smaug: he wasn't just the voice, he did the movements too.  So it was Benedict Cumberbatch playing, living, breathing, moving Smaug...asldkfjlakjsdf!!! To those of you who want a brilliant and scary beast, you will not be disappointed.

2. The barrels scene.  It's fast-paced, it's wet, it's action-packed, it's like riding a roller coaster.  A wet one, with orcs and elves and such.  There's even a funny Bombur bit that had Kelly and I rolling! Honestly, that was one of the parts I was most looking forward to and, again, it did not disappoint.

3. Tauriel, the new elf character.  I was VERY skeptical at first., but I liked her a lot more than I thought I did.  She's fierce, she's a fighter, she kicks serious butt.  But she also has a heart to her.  There's a scene in Laketown where she heals Kili, and it was such a beautiful scene it brought tears to my eyes.  I'm curious to see where the next movie will take her.

I could go on and on.  Martin Freeman continues to shine as Bilbo; he just keeps getting better and better.   What I loved the most was how he portrays the Ring already starting to take its hold on him.  I won't give anything away on that, but it's enough to send a chill down your spine.

My verdict: Go see it, as soon as you are physically able to do so!  There's more action, more humor, more heart, and of course, Smaug,...I don't think that you will be disappointed.

Kelly: I thought this movie was 10x better than An Unexpected Journey. I feel like that There And Back Again will be a little bit better than this one. I could be wrong. I will share one more tidbit that I really enjoyed, but also some things that didn't roll too well with me. Gosh, I know!

Holly told me about this review of the movie that said the characters lacked "development" and "heart." I have yet to find this review, but I am now offering my rebuttal. Sis touched on this briefly but I'm going to expand on it. What really hit the most with me in the movie was none of the above, but something TOTALLY unexpected. There is a scene between Kili, Oin, Fili, Bofur and Tauriel. I won't give too much away, but there is a moment between Kili and Tauriel that is NOT romantic but rather a series of beautiful encounters that just stick with me. It is by far probably one of the most beautiful pieces of a movie or TV show that I have ever seen. Ever. Like "oh my gosh my eyes were watering of the beauty" kind of beautiful.

Having said that, there was one thing I didn't really care for, which was in the beginning with Beorn. In the book, the dwarves come in in pairs every 5 minutes in an attempt to plea Beorn into letting them stay in his house. Gandalf all the while is telling their story, and the constant interruptions keep Beorn in suspense and wanting to hear the story. But in the movie, the company literally runs into the house, since Beorn is chasing them, and slams the door in his face. I understand that by sticking with the original story in the book it would have taken time, but still. Nothing similar? But overall it did not hinder from my experience of enjoying the movie, which I did.

I feel like all the actors's performances were above and beyond the first movie. I can see growth in each and every one of them, and my goodness! The roles of their lifetime! But yes, I will repeat what sis said; it is definitely worth a watch! Peter Jackson and the rest of the crew have put out yet another spectacular piece of film. You will thoroughly enjoy it!

No comments: