Kelly: I remember growing up as a kid in elementary school and my parents having multiple conversations with various teachers. I was too young to remember these conversations, but some of them included the loosely translated "she's not going to do well in college" speech because my grades were "below average" and I had a difficult time learning. It was suggested I had a learning disability and from elementary school up through college I severely struggled with taking tests. But my parents never enrolled me to have an IEP (individualized education plan) because they didn't want me to have that label of being "different." Now PLEASE do not misunderstand me; when I look back on it now I think perhaps an IEP or a related degree would have been very beneficial for me. But my parents always told me to do my best in school, and that grades were just letters but that didn't mean I could just slack off. The value of a good and hearty education was important to them, and so was the simple fact of just trying.
College was especially difficult for me at times, because in my field of study I HAD to make certain grades in my classes in order to continue into the program. In one of my generals, I was a few points under the 77% benchmark, thus I had to repeat the course. I often found myself envious of some of my classmates who just seemed to naturally excel; those who barely opened the book yet walked away from each test passing with flying colors. I on the other hand, slaved myself at times to studying and studying. I did not have to work as hard in high school as I did in college, so this was new to me. Making straight A's and "learning how to study" is NOT something you learn in high school in my opinion; it's something you learn, over time, on your own. You learn what works for you and what doesn't. Ok, I sort of veered off course with that, so let me get back on track. I kept in mind what my parents told me; do your best and regardless, they continued to let me know how proud they were of me. Now I understand some people I know have high expectations for themselves. But just bear in mind, it is an opportunity many do not get that we have by going to college. And I am all for making the most of it, but do your best. Sometimes when you do your best and you don't feel like it was or the grade you got doesn't reflect "your best," then....well, I'm sorry about that. I really am. I'm not being brash or insensitive. You fell off the horse; dust yourself off and realize that you did do your best. Don't blame someone else, because trust me. I've tried that. I've pulled the "well they're just unfair" or "they're grading methods are unfair." It doesn't work.
I apologize in advance if I make someone angry or whatnot, but I feel that this blog is a safe place where I can freely express my opinions. It is not my intention to step on anyone's toes, and I am not saying that anyone who expects themselves to get straight A's and nothing else are stuck up and over achievers. Not even close. I honestly sometimes wish I had that motivation for myself. But just remember; in the end, all it comes down to is just....letters.
Holly: This has been on my mind for a while now, and it's come in light of finals wrapping up for students this week, both at Berea and UK (where I work). I'm being completely upfront now; I surprised myself at some of my feelings yesterday. There is some bitterness, there is some jealousy, and I know it's petty and I know it shouldn't be there. But I'm going to be full disclosure. I've accepted it and I'm going to move on from it, and I'm just going to be frank and get this all out, so I apologize if it is lengthy:
A lot of my facebook friends have been posting their final grades. Most of you have gotten A's and B's. Please let me be one of many to congratulate you. College is tough. Berea is a league of its own, if I do say so myself. You all should definitely be proud of yourselves. HOWEVER: I've also had many conversations with people about their grades. I work at UK, for goodness sake. The department has two student workers. Many of my facebook friends are still Berea students. You all GO. NUTS. over your grades. I know so many who get disappointed in themselves and beat themselves to death if they don't make straight A's. And for what? A 4.0?
Guys, I did not make A's and B's at Berea. Not even close. EVERY semester I was there I had a least one C. It sucked. It really did. I busted my butt at Berea, and every time I saw that C it sucked. It felt like I failed. And to see all of you posting your straight A's and your A's and B's...well, yeah. The jealousy comes out. My LAST semester at Berea I was in my adviser's office in tears because I had a D in my Genetics class, and I NEEDED that class to graduate; I thought my life was over, right then and there! But I learned something REALLY quickly during my time at Berea: grades are just letters. It's a letter. Nothing more. A 4.0 will not guarantee you a job after graduation. A 4.0 will not guarantee you acceptance into your dream grad school (We have a friend who graduated with a 3.9 and MIT TURNED HER DOWN. Massachusetts. Institute. of freaking. Technology. Did I stutter?). It will definitely help, I think, or at least I'd like to think it will. A 4.0 will not guarantee you those things because after graduation, there are no guarantees. There just aren't. That's the world we live in, that's the economy we live in. I don't mean to rain on everyone's parades, so let me say this: Please be proud of the grades you do get, whether they're straight A's, or alphabet soup, like mine were. A lot of young people our age don't even get the opportunity to even go to college. Can we not stress ourselves out over these letters? Do your best, in ALL areas, not just your academics. Don't stress. It's not worth it. Enjoy your college experience.; it really does go by fast (I'll be 2 years post graduation next May...woah?). I'm proud of my degree, even with the C's (and yes, the D) littered in my transcript, because I gained so much more than I could have imagined, and you can't put a numerical value on that.
2 comments:
Amen.
Amen, amen, amen. I strove for good grades as well, but there were a few I was less pleased with. However, not in a single job application, interview, or other important life event (getting married, becoming a mom) did anyone ever ask me about that C I received in French II my freshman year. It just doesn't really matter once you get out.
I hope your post reaches some of those college kids that can't see beyond the A, because no one really cares about that letter.
Oh my gosh, Camille, you are so right. Never in any of my jobs have my grades been asked about. Heck, I have a bachelors in BIOLOGY and got a D in GENETICS, yet the powers that be still saw me perfectly qualified to oversee their labs. It really is just a letter.
Side note, but we will more than likely be seeing you all for New Years Eve. Hope you and your lovely family have a wonderful Christmas :)
Post a Comment