Sunday, March 9, 2014

God Moments: part 3

Kelly: Today's post is very different from our other ones with this title. In light of recent events, we felt it would be appropriate to share a very near and dear God moment we have both had the wonder of experiencing.

The Family That Became

In February of 2009, I, along with Holly, joined the church choir at Berea Baptist church. This process took a series of arm twistings by some friends of ours who were already in it. I remember we were eating dinner and these two friends came up to us and said "Holly and Kelly, you're coming to church choir with us." So we reluctantly came, joined, met some of the members and the rest is history. My oh my how 5 years seems to pass so very quickly. I walked into a church I had barely gone to, sat down, met some people and now am honored and so very blessed to be a part of this every other Tuesday (God's calling at my job keeps me away from time to time but it is all well and understood).

As I posted on my Facebook just recently, to be a part of something that not only changes other people's lives but continues to change mine Sunday after Sunday. It is a blessing, an honor and a privilege to worship God the most high with countless others who love Him too. That's it. I really don't have anything else to say. It's all been said before.

Holly: I remember not even 2 weeks after we had joined we went on a choir retreat to Gatlinburg.  As I was literally dragging my stuff up the street from my dorm to church, I was thinking something like: I must be out of my mind.  Here I am, I JUST joined this choir, and now I'm going to spend the weekend with all these crazy people, none of whom I really know save a few, on a bus for 3 hours there and back, in a cabin in the middle of nowhere, way up in the mountains, it's freezing, I have all this homework to do, I don't want to do this.

I wish I could travel back in time and smack myself across the face.  I'll save all the details, stories, testimonies, etc, but I will say that I will never, ever forget that weekend.  Ever.

I had no intention of staying with this choir for five years, but alas, God's intentions are greater than my own.  This choir is a part of my life now.  It's my family.  We're family.  We are all part of something that is more beautiful and bigger than we ever will be.  I can't speak for everyone, but it's made me better because of it.  I count myself incredibly blessed to be a part of this body of believers.  God has done amazing things with us, and I wouldn't change any part of it for the world.  I thank God every week for this ministry and I sincerely pray it continues to change lives as much as it has changed mine.


Easter 2013- combined program with First Baptist London

Easter 2013- we look sleepy :)

The retreat that started it all

Choir picnic (I believe this would have been spring 2009...?)

Corn Maze- fall 2010

2 comments:

CamilleAshleyMK said...

I love this. Plain and simple.

Kelly said...

Thanks, darling. We're pretty blessed :)