Fast forward to last night. I still binge on ER every now and then, but last night I was watching another one of my favorites, NUMB3RS. Kelly and I have mentioned it on here a few times. I was watching one of my favorites, "Friendly Fire", and again, I couldn't help but notice a parallel between my faith and this show that I really enjoy. I jotted this down not long after. Every day I'm learning that God really is in all things :) Enjoy, and happy Easter!
Good Friday, 2015. Sometimes it’s hard for me to see the “good” in it. This is the day that Christ gave up His life. To sit and watch Christ die a most terrible death is something I don’t think I’ll ever be able to wrap my head around. So much heartbreak. Thank goodness that this particular story has a happy ending! I am so thankful that because of Jesus, death doesn’t have the last word!
I think so many of us, myself included, forget that Jesus
walked this earth as a human. He was
human! I think there’s such a strong sense of fragility and vulnerability in
this. I was reminded of just that- the
fragility of being human- this evening, while watching one of my favorite
episodes of Numb3rs. I think I’ve seen
it half a dozen times by now. A longtime
mentor of Don’s, Fox, is under suspicion after a bank robbery that ends up with
two federal agent fatalities. Don backs
him and defends him 100%...until the end, when the data Charlie has drawn up
becomes too overwhelming to ignore- things are stacking up against Fox, and
definitely not for the better. In a
stand-off between Don and Fox, Fox’s true colors come forth and the complete truth
behind the robbery is revealed. For the
first time in years, we see Don’s guard drop and his coming to grips with reality-
is someone he’s looked up to for so long really capable of such things? As Fox reloads his firearm, he says that he
can’t and won’t go down for this, this that would most assuredly end his career
as he knew it, and he would rather take matters into his own hands than allow
Don to turn him in. I won’t reveal what
happens next, but let me just say that it destroys
Don (And me too!). The armor finally
cracks. For five seasons we’ve seen Don
shouldering the weight of his team stoically and effectively, burying any and
all emotion for the sake of justice and doing his job. But the end of this particular episode, maybe
the last 5-10 minutes, it really does
something to me. It’s so powerful, yet there’s
a moment subtle enough to miss if you’re not paying attention. It’s a heart-wrenching reminder that we are
human. We fall. We break.
We are rattled and moved by events in our lives and sometimes there
isn’t anything else to do but let our guard down. That moment just stops my heart.
The truth is that we are broken people, much like Don at the
end of “Friendly Fire”. We are not
immune to tragedies that may occur in our lives, and we are not immune to how
we may deal with said tragedies. However,
I’m thankful that I can run to God when life becomes too much. I’m thankful that He understands the
humanity within us. He knows! There are plenty of circumstances in this
world that warrant apologies, but you should never have to apologize for being
human. Like I said, God understands, and
He can handle it. Newsflash: No one
expects you to hold it together all the time.
I need that reminder often. And that includes you too, Don!
(Anyone else felt like giving him a hug at the end there, or was it just
me?)
No comments:
Post a Comment