Kelly: Sometimes I take mini social media breaks. It's good for my health, hence I threw in the "internet safety" label in this post, the safety being for me. It seems like every day I see more and more negativity posted, and I'm kind of at my breaking point. I've had enough, so I don't feed into it anymore. It just makes me wonder about the choices we make, I make in my day-to-day life. And lately it seems like poor choices are glorified more often than good ones. I think we actually wrote about something similar to this, and the question we posed was why is it bad to be good? Anyway, I'm digressing a bit, but I want to share a small tidbit of something from my nursing school days.
I was working with a nurse and she had been working at her current job for a while. I asked her if she enjoyed it and she said she had always wanted to work with kids but felt "stuck" doing what she was doing. I asked why she not pursue working with kids; she didn't answer. The way I see it is this; we are all victims to stuff happening, good stuff or bad stuff. We can choose to be victims of the bad stuff and we can choose to display all the good stuff every day, multiple times a day. Or we can choose to have a bit of modesty, ask God to help during the bad stuff and praise Him for the good, instead of spraying it all over social media like a hay-wire sprinkler. On our birthday, which was just this past Thursday, I posted a selfie and mentioned I was going to get ready for some fun. 46 likes on Facebook. A while ago I posted something about reading the Bible and how much it meant to me. 2 likes, maybe 3. Choices, there is such power in them. We can choose what grabs our attention, and it can influence us in good ways or not. As for me, I'm more conscientious over what I post on social media and ask myself "do all my friends/followers really need or want to see this?" or "is this going to encourage them and make them happy?" Am I glorifying my Maker or something else? Choices, like I said, it's a power we have, free will. Choose wisely though.
Holly: "If you're free to choose, then you're free to accept the consequences of your choice. Be wise in making decisions & responsible in owning them."
The above is a retweet from Tony Nolan's 18-year-old daughter Christy. Talk about wisdom beyond your years! I think this tweet sums up perfectly general decision making, whether they're good decisions or not-so-good ones. I do agree with Kelly in that poor decisions do seem to be encouraged and praised more than good ones...here's our thoughts on why it's "bad to be good." While we're at it, here's our thoughts on selfies and other social media stuff.
I've recently adopted a philosophy that if you don't like something in your life, then change it. I read a lot of stuff on Facebook about how person X hates their job, person X hates where they live, person X is just pissed off for no reason, really, person X has a co-worker/roommate/significant other/friend that drives them crazy/makes them mad...I don't really need to go on. Trust me, I know what it's like to not be happy with your current circumstances. But I believe life is too short and too much of a gift for it to be spent being miserable or otherwise unhappy, and I don't understand why anyone would want to live that way. Is it really easier living in your own unhappiness/drama than deciding to take the time to try and change that one thing or things? What makes these situations worse is enablers, or others who just feed into it. Allow me to give an example (bear in mind this is just an example; Kelly is quite happy and content with life right now):
Kelly: Angsty status about general life unhappiness/work drama/traffic jams.
me: Oh sis, you must be irate right now. They all suck anyway!
All right, I think ya get the idea, because you've probably seen it at some point or another. I don't have a valuable solution for stopping enablers/negativity, so I just choose to ignore it and do my best to spread my joy in my little social media circle. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I read somewhere that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. How will your circumstances and attitude influence the choices you make? How will YOU choose to choose?
No comments:
Post a Comment