Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Memoirs from an MRI scanner and a recently unemployed young aaaahdult

Kelly: The Christmas music has started, the cats are hyper and I've been awake since 6AM. Just another day of livin-la-vida-loca! The reason I've been awake so long is that I had another MRI today; hopefully the last for a long while. This one was done because last week, one awesome doctor FINALLY has a name for all my ankle problems!!!! After 2 and a half years of groveling, knocking on doors, pain and frustration, YES. There is a name! Anyway, this MRI was done to see the extent of the problem and what is the next step treatment wise for me; casting first or surgery. She said (the good doctor) that surgery is very unlikely, so keep your eyes open as I will be posting updates. I don't go back to see her until the 10th, so again another waiting game continues.

Anyway, during the scan today the tech asked what radio station I liked to listen to, and I said I'm very fond of K-LOVE; they played music for me since MRI's tend to be rather noisy...if you've never had one, take my word for it. I've had 3. So anyway, I was laying on my back, drifting in and out of sleep and then the radio DJ's who do the morning show were talking about something they read about this guy who was his own "minister of happy." What this guy did was just that...he was just happy. But what he did was change his mindset. The radio DJ's kept talking and mentioned the encouraging word which was from 1 Corinthians 15:58. The premise of this verse is that everything we do is not useless and that we're to work in all things for Christ. One of the DJ's said that with that kind of mindset, daily, it can provide the same eternal gratitude as leading someone to Christ. What a concept. Just something for us to take home; instead of "going through the motions" and going through the daily grind, how's about we take our mundane every dayness and use any and every moment possible for God? Thoughts and actions like that could change us...even the world.

Holly: This especially struck me today.  Last Tuesday was my last day at my job.  Which means yes...I am now unemployed once again.  With the exception of my Mary Kay.  To say I'm anxious, uneasy, worried, all are understatements.  Most of the time I try to keep the faith but sometimes it's hard to not get discouraged.  But when I heard about being our own ministers of happy, it was like a light switch.  Yes, times are scary and uncertain for me right now.  God is taking me through a season that is uncomfortable, boring, scary...I feel sometimes as if I'm on pins and needles, waiting for an email, phone call, ANYTHING.  But that isn't how it has to be.

So how does someone like me be a minister of happy even in the dark times?  I know for me that I have to undergo a serious change of perspective.  I know that I need to use this abundant spare time for God, for rest, for prayer, and being serious in my faith to the point that I solely rely on God for my utmost needs and desires.  Which at this point is work.  I need to work!  I need to stay busy!  But what I keep praying is that regardless of where I end up I want to be used by God.  For now, I wait.  And do things.  Like tonight: I auditioned for a dance ensemble at Berea.   I have absolutely no idea if I'll even get into a piece, but it was the most fun hour and forty five minutes I've had in a LONG time.  I'll plan my party.  I'll sleep.  And pray.  And keep faith.  Because we do what we have to do.

No comments: