Monday, December 10, 2012

AND...in the spirit of all things Christmas, our favorite Christmas flick is...............

Holly: This one!

So the IMDB is a little weak in terms of a plot, description, what have you, but the basic gist of it is a Scroogy failed-actor-turned-primary-school-teacher, Mr. Maddens, who gets suckered in to directing the school's nativity play.  In the midst of all of that he gets bombarded by his childish, highly immature (but hilarious) teaching assistant, Mr. Poppy.  It's basically doomed to fail on all accounts, especially when Mr. Maddens begins this intricate web of lies (in order to impress his fellow teacher rival, Gordon Shakespeare, who's absurdly full of himself) circling around his ex-girlfriend Hollywood producer flying herself and her crew out to watch their nativity play. The blowing up of the lies begetting lies and lies growing and growing and Mr. Maddens getting himself into deeper and deeper hot water is what makes most of the humor.

So you're reading this and probably thinking, Gee, Holly, well that sounds all fine and dandy, but why is it your FAVORITE Christmas movie? I mean, there's so many other good ones out there!!!!

Yes.  That is true.  But I....well, we....have a couple reasons.  The main one for me is because in the beginning of the movie, Mr. Maddens has absolutely no hope: in Christmas, in his students, in himself for doing a good job of directing, in Mr. Poppy.  As the movie progresses we learn he's still in love with his ex-girlfriend, even traveling great lengths to put his heart and the hearts of his students on the line.  As the movie progresses the students go from not believing in themselves, not thinking they can do anything, to "sparkling and shining" and redeeming the lost cause that their school once was.  And wishing the absolute BEST for their teacher that they love so dearly and admire.  My recommendation is this: watch the movie.  It will make you cry.  And it will definitely make you laugh and warm your heart.

Kelly: On top of what was already said, I have nothing really to add. What I get from this movie is quite simple. There's one part where Mr. Maddens has just spoken to an unsure student about wanting to participate in the play because she didn't want to wear "a stupid costume." After he sends her off to lunch, he stumbles upon "Christmas post" in which the students write letters to Santa asking what they want for Christmas. A few of them are traditional things like this and that. As he continues to read them, more and more of them say along the lines of "I just want Mr. Maddens to be happy." He gets quite emotional by the end and once he walks back into the auditorium the passion just lights up. These same students that he called "useless" in the beginning of the movie still want nothing but the absolute best for him.  And that's just awesome. I feel we should always feel that same way towards all people, even those who have wronged us any way or have said we're useless. Even if that person is ourselves.

Then there's Mr. Poppy. Despite receiving constant criticism for his over-the-top behavior and enthusiasm, he continues to do that and then some. I consider myself to be like Mr. Poppy at times. Here's what I mean; today I received a comment from one of my clinical instructors that said "I wish that everyone was as cheerful and enthusiastic as you are." It just goes to show you that when you carry that sort of attitude, like me, like Mr. Poppy, though it doesn't seem like it at times people do notice. And they appreciate it. Lastly, what else I get from this movie is of course the fact that Martin Freeman is in it! He has easily become one of my favorite actors and to me is more than just Tim from the Office or soon-to-be none other than Bilbo Baggins himself. I think we so often forget that actors, despite their various roles, are regular people too and live regular lives just like you and I. Since Martin has become one of my faves, I've brought it upon myself to see him in more of his work. I really do appreciate him more as an actor and as a person! So yes, I will close by saying, definitely watch this movie. It really is gold as far as Christmas movies go!

***Holly adds her actor/actress worship pet peeve/rant: Because I've read interviews, etc, and they don't like that.  For example, Kelly and I like Martin Freeman, and we've seen a lot of his work, and I've read interviews with him and he said at one point he got really tired of hearing "Tim!!" being shouted in the streets. While I love the character Tim from The Office, that's not who they are.  Actors and actresses aren't defined by their characters; they're defined by THEIR character.  They're ordinary people, just like you and me, who just happen to be spectacularly good at their jobs and also...they love what they do. I challenge you: if you have a favorite actor/actress, watch their other works (besides the one work that made you fall in love with him/her).  Your opinion will change.  //end rant***

1 comment:

Holly said...

And our comment section is working again!! :D