Kelly: Hey look, here's a random funny, especially if you're a fan of The Hobbit and The Office (the British one...)
The Office: An Unexpected Journey
Now that we've gotten out of the way, we're going to delve into the purpose of this post. There are many that I know that carry the name Christian, myself included. However, there are those that I know that carry that name and the way they act/speak do not reflect that. Having said that, I'm going to share a story. I was on my way home with my clinical group and two of my classmates were in the front seat. For about 10 minutes they were talking about another classmate and her current relationship. What they were saying...were some of the most judgmental remarks I had ever heard. I had my headphones in and was listening to my iPod, but finally I had to put an end to it; it was getting ridiculous. I took my headphones out and said "could you please just stop?" And that was that. I didn't say a word the rest of the ride home.
It makes me wonder; do we ever think about what we say or do or do we just do/say it and forget who hears or sees? I catch myself thinking about that a lot. And it has made me think if I am guilty of the same thing. Are my actions building people up or tearing them down? Are the words I'm saying about others, whether or not they even know it, those of love instead of hate or judgment? So as a result, I'm trying to be more consciously aware of what I say/do around others. I want my words and my actions to resemble that of love and kindness instead of the opposite. It's our Christian duty to build people up with what we say AND do. So if I have ever said or done anything that has not been reflective of that, please tell me. IF I say or do something that is not reflective of that, call me out on it. I don't want to just throw words out there; I want to BE better. I think we should all try to be better. Having been a victim of bullying, words...really do hurt.
Holly: When I heard our pastor preaching those words this past Sunday, all I could keep thinking was "Dear God, that used to be me." The going-through-the-motions, catty, lukewarm, stagnant Christian who only showed up for church on Sunday and youth group on Wednesday. Other than that, you really couldn't tell much else. After that Sunday I vowed that I would NEVER go back to that place. Kelly brought up the fact that by me saying I would never go back, that I was already moving forward. Also, when I heard our pastor preaching those words this past Sunday, all I could think was "I sincerely pray that I am not like that."
To be completely honest, because I too, sadly, know many Christians who do not act as such, it does not surprise me the number of people, particularly those in my age group, who are either leaving the church or are not interested in it at all. I can't help but think of (and please pardon my extreme example) Westboro Baptist Church...a CHURCH, no less, who claim to carry God's message but instead are infecting the nation with their blatant and sickening hate and ignorance of those different from themselves. That is NOT the way to go! Period. While God is vengeful (I mean, have you read the Old Testament??) and definitely powerful, I am captivated by His neverending love and mercy for all of His people, and ultimately that's what keeps me running to Him again and again. I too am also trying to BE better. The next time we see someone slandering, gossiping, or being downright spiteful...what are we going to do about it? Let it slide, or speak up for those who may not have a voice? I detest spitefulness and meanness...I think there is too much of it and it has to stop. Words really do hurt people.
Bottom line: I am here to live like Christ. Please make sure to tell me if I'm not.
This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters...Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and truth. ~1 John 3: 16, 18
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it. ~Albus Dumbledore
No comments:
Post a Comment