Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Dog's Perspective (Really Makes You Think...)

Holly: So there is this country (1/2 of this blogging duo has been there!)

Where there is this band

Which features this guy

Whom you probably recognize as Pippin from Lord of the Rings

Anyway (ha, that was fun!), Kelly and I stumbled across them recently and while Kelly was busy being all student and stuff, I listened to their most recent album.  Which opens with the track below.  But it isn't a song.  It's a monologue, written from the perspective of (I'm going to assume...) a dog.  I had to listen to it a couple of times to get all the words, but for some reason it really made me think. It's poetic, almost...poetry. What do you think?

*P.S. I copied these words by ear, so I apologize if they aren't completely correct*

"Dog's Waltz"

I dreamt I was a dog
Running through pale through the long wet grass
Enjoying every moment as it came and went

Not a second of my existence spent worrying about a future I knew nothing about
I laid panting on some cool concrete
And watched the humans busily rushing back and forth, shouting, crying, laughing in a language I didn't understand
Trying to stick to the five-year plans
Buying and selling, hoping their second house investment was a good one
Fighting wars for oil or land, or because their God is a better God, a vengeful God, the only God
And I close my eyes...
When I wake, I find a stick

And I busy myself throwing it around, enjoying the stick for all that it is
Then I see another dog with a better stick, and I think "I might fight him for it"
Maybe I'm evolving 


No comments: