Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Bad Egg

Kelly: On the way to campus this morning, Holly and I were talking about bad days. Like I said in an earlier post from Facebook this week, it had been no surprise that I have been sort of a grump these past few days.   That has since changed and I'm not a grump anymore, but I found myself wondering why I was grumpy. Well, I had a lot to do in a short amount of time, things at work were a bit hectic as we were trying to get ready for our open house tomorrow night, and of course my clinical schedule. That in of itself is like having an additional job on top of my already job. Anyway, I soon realized that it was a lot of little things that were happening throughout the week but not on the same day. Murphy's Law kind of week I suppose. This morning I was a bit on edge as well, as I haven't been feeling the greatest all day. Going to the doc tomorrow. But I was talking to Holly and I said "you know, despite all that's going on,  I can't even remember the last time I had a bad day." Then it had me thinking...what constitutes a "bad day?" Is it the whole day or just a part of the day?

For many I know, it's a part of the day. For a while that was my definition too. There's one tiny part of the day that goes sour and then boom. The whole day suddenly sucks. After a while though, again, like many of these posts with the label "perspective," mine changed. Why do we always let one moment ruin our entire day? WHY? It's like getting feedback on a paper or presentation; there's one negative comment and a lot more positive comments. But what one do we always focus on? The one negative. And then we dwell on it and dwell on it...or at least I do. What is it about negativity that attracts us? So what I'm trying to do is not let the one negative thing constitute as a bad day in my book. Why let one small bad egg ruin the rest of the batch? It doesn't have to!

Holly: Trust me, this used to be me.  One thing would go wrong and I'd be all "well that's it now today just sucks!"  Life doesn't have to be that way.  We are not in bondage to all those stupid little things that go wrong in life; we are in control of how we deal with them, and I think the way we deal with such things says a lot about our character.  You can completely lose your crap, or just take it in stride, let it go, and move on.  Because in the grand scheme of things, we really don't have it as bad as we think we do.

Why are we so ingrained on focusing on the bad, but not the good?  It's like you get a review at work or something, and you can have 32345 GOOD things said about you and then ONE bad thing, and what do we immediately focus on...the ONE bad thing?  Bad things are usually not personal, they're usually someone on the receiving end out to get you.  Seriously.  Trust me on this one.

I'm with Kelly on this one...I honestly can't remember the last time I had a "bad day".  Want my advice?  That one thing someone says/does that gets under your skin? Forget about it.  That little snide remark someone made about you? Laugh it off.  That person you're holding a grudge against?  Let it go.  Negativity is POWERFUL...I believe any time that we are mulling in our negative junk we are being robbed of time that we could be spending laughing or spreading positive energy to others...or just simply being freaking happy!  Don't ever let anything or anyone steal your joy in life!  We are so much more than that!

No comments: