Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A true Berea gem

Holly: I'm actually getting a little sad writing this.  Tillie really is one of a kind.

We first met Tillie our junior year at Berea.  Of course we had heard about her: she was the dog that would come hiking with you at the Pinnacles (random side note, if any of you non-Berean readers ever find yourself in this charming little town, you must explore the Pinnacles; they really are extraordinary).  While she did not accompany us on our hike, I remember her quiet, gentle presence on the grounds, taking drinks from student's water cups, laying patiently as she was swarmed with children.

We've seen her a few times since then, and nothing has changed.  Unfortunately, her time on earth is coming to an end.  The entire community is rallying around her.  It's amazing how one dog that was just a grungy, skuzzy stray has charmed her way into thousands of hearts.  I'm sure her spirit will live on in those mountains and woods.  Kelly and I are hoping to make one last pilgrimage to pay homage to this special creature.  She is an angel, in my not so humble opinion.  Or perhaps a guardian.  Or both.

Kelly: When I was last up there, which was in March, she did not accompany us. However, when I was there in October, I noticed she had found her way up the mountain with a small group. Only once did she actually accompany me while I was on a hike; that was my junior year. I was on the college's orientation team and was with some freshmen hiking up the Pinnacles. Most of them opted for the more demanding and steeper West Pinnacle; I chose East. But before we split and departed, I managed to capture this shot. Tillie opted to follow the West group, but I remember it being particularly warm that day. She was a bit thirsty and soon made a new friend.


I don't know if I'll ever see this beautiful creature again. I hope I get the chance to. But I hope that her owners realize number one, how lucky they were to have her for as long as they did. And number two, I hope they realize how lucky we were to have her as well. At the bottom of this post I have attached a news link from one of the local TV stations. Enjoy. 

Took this in October. She took a snooze after I gave her a cup of water. 

No comments: