Wednesday, June 19, 2013

LOOK! LOOK! LOOK AT ME ME ME!!!!!

Kelly: I feel like that that's what the world is all about. And let's face it, people, there are those that are TMI when it comes to the social media world. They ain't afraid to share NOTHIN! As for me....I try to be a bit more modest when it comes to what I post...and don't post. Yes, I have a Facebook and a Twitter, I have no shame in that. If you see something I post and you start to think...ok....really?? then please let me know. I do not want to post anything that might offend people or make anyone uncomfortable. But what about things that people are comfortable with? For example, when I passed my nursing boards I jawed on and on and on. The more I posted about it though, the more I realized that I was praising the good works and deeds that I had accomplished. And as you know, life is not about me. But it's so easy to slip into that way of thinking; it's jammed into our heads every day. Follow YOUR dreams. Do what's best for YOU. YOU decide what YOU want to do. It's tempting to think that way, and trust me, I am sooooooooooo guilty of it myself. In my life right now, I feel that I do not praise God enough for the little things, and I'm trying very hard to work on that. If it were not for God and His love, grace and yes, conviction, then I would not be holding my RN license in the first place. You see? In today's society, it seems to me that God doesn't even get the credit anymore. That somewhat bothers me, and if you're a follower of Christ, it should bother you too.

Holly: I've had 24 hours or so to think about this, and I don't have much to say about it, so here goes: I see this a lot on Facebook, after someone has usually started a new relationship, lost weight, started a new job, etc.  I feel that in these triumphant times, the line gets blurred between "hey, look at MY achievements and MY success and MY happiness" versus "look at what God has blessed me with.  Praise Him".  You see where I'm getting at?  Trust me, I used to be a horrendous me-monster.  Some instances, I still am.  But over the years, I've done a lot of growing up, and realized that if it was up to me, I'd be in a lot of trouble.  God deserves our everything.  Everything we do, everything we achieve in (or suck at) belongs to Him.  Our society is so selfish and self-absorbed that it scares me.  I think it should scare you, too.

People these days tend to broadcast their entire lives over social media.  If that's your drift, fine with me.  That's not my cup of tea, maybe I'm just modest.  However, I do enjoy reading what my peeps are up to.  But let me challenge you (and myself as well): the next time you're tempted to post that "selfie", that complaint about your job, that flashy new thing you just got, just remember: who are you glorifying?

No comments: