Monday, December 22, 2014

Food, Cheer and Song

Kelly: So before I went to bed last night, I wrote a thing. It's kind of a long thing. Bear with me, for sometimes when God speaks, He speaks volume!

If more of us valued food, cheer and song over hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. 

Thorin Oakenshield utters those words to Bilbo as he takes his final breath. Prior to these words being spoken, a great battle took place in Middle Earth. But in this battle, no winner was declared. There were no victories to be celebrated. And this battle was over what? A pile of coins and perhaps a teeny bit of redemption. How often do we do this in our own life? Fight over and sometimes for things that in the end leave us with nothing? I know I have many times before, and like Thorin, I'm questioning my choices to God, because others like Bilbo along the way have showed me how much greatness God has given me. God promises us food that will never leave us hungry! In His word, constantly, all the time. His word is always there and we can go to it anytime and our hunger won't return void. It's never ending food, full of promises from THE ultimate Provider.

Philippians 4:4 says to rejoice in the Lord always. God has given you and me plenty, and over and over He has proved to me just how worthy He is. Like Gandalf says to Bilbo near the end of their journey "for you are one small hobbit in a wide world." Bilbo's response is "thank goodness!" That's exactly how I feel. I am so humbled by His grace and grateful that He is God and I am not. Thank goodness that God knows exactly what He is doing, because if it were just me on my own, I don't even know. There is absolutely no way all that has occurred in my life is mere random chance. Absolutely no way. It's God and God alone, because to me nothing else makes sense. So I have no choice but to thank Him for all He has done for me and will continue to do for me, because I sure as heck don't deserve it.

Psalm 100 says to shout for joy to the LORD all the Earth, and to worship the Lord with gladness. We are to enter his praises with thanksgiving. I've had people say to me they know I am a Christian and admire me for the way I handle certain situations. And I say it's not me; it's God in me. The way I see it is this; I can hold onto all my junk that comes my way, be angry, swing at anything that moves and hoard all my anger, frustration, bitterness, whatever, just like Thorin did with his gold. He refused to part with it, even though he promised to share in the wealth. And look what happened! He went nuts! He doubted himself, his mind, and even his own family. He reached a point where nothing or no one could be trusted, even himself. It's not easy sometimes, but instead I resound to do my best to lay it all down to God's feet and let Him deal with it. Because we can't carry all our junk to Heaven anyway, so why not do our best to just let it go? Trust me, I'm writing this for myself as much as I am to anyone who reads this. We are called to store our treasures in jars of clay so they don't collect dust or moth balls, and that we don't end up like Thorin. What treasures do you have in jars of clay? What do I have? What would you like to have stored that would please God?

These words are what Tolkien's work has done to me. Exploring hidden theology in a movie or book by digging deeper into Scripture and examining my own walk with God. I think that God wires us to like what we like. Seriously. And there are foundational reasons for our likes, but I think in everything there's perhaps something a bit deeper as well. And I think it's true when they say God is in all things; all we have to do is let Him in to all of our things. Even our love for Bilbo's adventures.

No comments: