Holly: Let me make a quick disclaimer: I am a straight-up die-hard chocoholic. I also prefer carnations over roses. :) I am in no way shape, size, or form condemning flowers and chocolate. HOWEVER, I feel that on Valentine's Day, it's too commercialized and stereotypical. Here's why:
Why do all Americans take one day out of the year to go out of their ways, break their bank accounts, all for letting their significant other know how they feel? Shouldn't we be doing that every day? I think yes. I might be a bit naive because I've spent virtually every Valentine's Day alone, and I can't speak for everyone, but knowing me, I would be perfectly happy on the red-and-pink-overkill holiday just knowing that I had someone who loved me exactly for me and thought the world of me (Actually, I do have someone like that, his name is Jesus...I'd be happy to introduce Him)...but ya get my point! Why do we feel its necessary to shower our significant others with stuff that, to be frank, will be gone in a short amount of time? Love lasts so much longer than things!!!
Here's what I did today: I went to work! And my boss, my other fellow student worker, and I laughed and talked about cell phones and the awesomeness of college and beaning your brother with a squishy pillow just to see him break out because he's allergic to the DYE (all while my boss was sick, bless his heart). It was one of the most enjoyable afternoons of work I've ever had; because it doesn't feel like work...it feels like being with family, doing what I love doing: science, and being around people! That's it.
So not-single people, please, PLEASE, find a way, EVERY DAY, to tell your significant other you love them and appreciate them. Flowers and chocolate optional. ;)
Kelly: Took the words right out of my mouth! As I've been saying all night; it is what it is. I hope one day that I find someone that I love and cherish. And I don't want him to get me things because I want them or because I ABSOLUTELY NEED THEM or because everyone else has a new car (just using an example. please don't buy me a new car); not just on V-day but on ANY DAY. I want my future significant other to love me for me and I will vow to do the same thing. On that note; ladies (or gents), if you have a significant other, tell him/her you love them for who they are and remember why you both fell in love with each other in the first place. Single people, love God, Allah or whoever/whatever you choose to worship. Treat yourself, because you deserve it!
2 comments:
So true! :)
In Germany it seems as if the Valentine's Day becomes more and more "important". People go crazy...
I couldn't care less.
Sure, I would willingly go through it, if I knew someone cared for me and loved me...but well.
Why am I just now seeing this? lol
Thanks for your input. Even if I had a significant other I wouldn't be all like hey it's V-day; smother me with things! I think that couples who are in love should show that to each other EVERY DAY. I guess what I've never really understood about v-day was the fact that there was an entire day of the year devoted to loving one another.
Post a Comment