Friday, February 3, 2012

Potpurri Post #2

Kelly: Currently killing time while I await for my dear mom to call me back. :D I must say today has been an interesting day. Had my follow-up from a root canal retreat I had back in the beginning of January. (Still trying to forget it...). Anyway, that was today and it went very well. However, for the duration of those few weeks I developed some HORRIBLE pain on my left side of my jaw. Hurts to open my mouth, pops during the day and just HURTS!!!! I mentioned this to my endodontist this morning, and he said almost instantly: TMJ.

TMJ, or temporomandibular joint disorder, is in dumbed down terms arthritis in your jaw. This is possibly related to the retreat...or not. My mom has it, but as to whether or not it is genetic I am not sure. (according to Wikipedia, tricyclic antidepressants help???? Yeah ok, but consider the source). Anyway, so I am currently prescribed Solu-Medrol...a steroid. URGH!!!! I have given steroids countless times in the hospitals where I do clinicals; prednisone, solu-medrol (in IV form), what have you. Never have I been the one receiving them. The kicker is I know all of the side effects...including increased appetite. Good lord I ate a wonderful dinner and I now my insides are SCREAMING to eat something else. Luckily, in about a week the evil drugs will be gone and I will be rid of this disorder....once I go home to my regular dentist and get night guards. The madness really never does stop, does it not? But, I will be ok. I will get through this, and I have a pretty positive attitude about it. I'm not bitter. Just really hungry.

I think my mom has forgotten about me....oh well. Just keep waiting I suppose. :]

Holly: The song "Electric Avenue" makes for some good paper-writing music.  I'm writing a paper about a bunch of old dead guys who talked about evolution before Darwin came along and said something to the degree of "NO, YOU'RE ALL WRONG!"  This weekend I get to dissect the Gospel of Matthew and ponder what defines a species.  Yay?

Kelly, come eat the last of my Craisins...seriously!

My boss is really, really funny.  Here's a couple of conversations we've had in the past two days:

Boss: "This is a steaming pile of poo!" (referring to a textbook software)
I laugh.  Me: "I can just see you a few years from now, sending out angry emails to all these book publishers saying 'NO, YOU'RE WRONG!'"

*Boss walks in on me yelling at my computer*
"You know they have medication for that."

*Boss trying out some action potential software, somewhat resembles a game. I'm making a study guide for the class I TA for.  I keep hearing this.*
"Die sodium die!"

Boss: "What is this Humanity Enrichment Award thing? I don't want this! Why do I have this?!"
Me: "Because...you....enlighten....humanity...?"

A pre-Genetics conversation that has nothing to do with my boss:
"There are three universal things to fix everything: 1. Hit it.  2. Duck tape. 3. WD-40."

I love my job.  :)

No comments: