Kelly: I found this video circulating around Facebook. You can read the description yourselves, but I just want to make something clear first; this dang girl has it MADE. I didn't even HAVE a cell phone, iPod OR laptop when I was that age. Point #1. Growing up, I had chores, on top of doing homework. I didn't even get my DRIVER'S LICENSE until I was 19. Got my first actual cell phone when I was also 19, first iPod at 16 and my first laptop till COLLEGE. But I EARNED every single one of those things! My brother had to get a job when he got his license.
Yeah, this girl does have it easy. Really. I never rebelled against my parents, because I knew I had to obey my parents. If I had said anything remotely close to what she wrote in that post, I'd been grounded till I was 60! RESPECT. It goes a long way! When we were kids, we were never spanked. WHY? Because we knew not to hit each other!!! RESPECT...not only for parents but for siblings too. My mom often talks about the 5th graders she teaches; they're so whiny and expect everything to be handed to them. They don't have respect for ANYONE, especially themselves! It's sad. When I watch this, I'm proud that I was raised the way I was. I have no regrets!
Holly: As I have posted in several Facebook comments, I DO NOT condone the shooting of the laptop. However, the video does raise several completely valid points. The fact that a 15-year-old even had the nerve to post something like she did was completely uncalled for, not to mention immature and way disrespectful!! I mean, what was she trying to accomplish here? Whatever it was, it was not very well thought through. Of ALL the places to post a rant of any sort, DO NOT do it on Facebook! One way or another it will come back around!
I do have to agree with Kelly and say that she did have it easy as well. Yeah, when I was a teenager, I had chores, and yes, I moaned and groaned all the time about doing them, but I did them. But now that I'm in my 20's and about to live on my own, I realize that those few little things my parents asked me to do don't even compare to EVERYTHING that my parents have done for me! To be honest, I think some contributions without being asked here and there are at the very least what we should be doing! At least that's my mindset when I go home for breaks. Because like I said earlier, my parents have done EVERYTHING for me! I hope that that girl realizes this someday. It's sad that she doesn't right now.
I can hear some of you saying "yeah, well, every teenager goes through a rebellious phase." Well...I didn't. Not even close. I'm not trying to brag. That's just how I was brought up. Respect is a two-way street: you have to give it to get it. I may not have always seen eye-to-eye with my parents, but I sure as hell respected them; I think I respect them more-so now.
Teens: listen to your freaking parents. Yeah, they'll drive you nuts, you'll argue with them, but when you get to be my age, you'll appreciate them and miss them more and more. Trust me on this one.
Here's the Video.
No comments:
Post a Comment