Holly: No, I'm not talking about the SNL Linda Richmond sketch...although it is quite humorous. "Like BUTTAH!" Anyway...
I got off work a wee bit early today so Kelly and I met up at our usual favorite coffee spot and we had cinnamon hazelnut coffee and just talked about life and all its grandness. She brought up something that she had read earlier today, and I'm going to share the link (Yes, I KNOW it's about our favorite illustrious Brit Mr. C, but before you groan, roll your eyes, and call us a couple of crazy twitty fan girls, just read it):
Article here
Basically, our twin consensus boiled down to "Uh...for real?" I don't think circumstances or behavior have anything to do with how people perceive us. In some situations people can't help the way they were brought up. And just because you come from an upper class family, as Benedict Cumberbatch seems to have, it doesn't mean you're a posh snob. Or just because you come from a working class family of educators (like myself) doesn't mean we're poor or teachers pets. For me, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt because we have no idea where people come from and what their stories are. I think it's really sad that a man of great talent (and I'm sorry, but in my opinion he is a BRILLIANT actor) is considering leaving his own country and coming to ours just because he's tired of all this mud-slinging. It's not even an issue of getting tougher skin, as one commenter put: it's like bullying, straight up. Bullying: yeah, that's something to get my blood boiling. I mean, kids are literally killing themselves over what others say about them. It's sad. Really, really sad.
I know I digress a lot, and I apologize. I guess my point is as simple as a cliche, which is don't judge people. I read a quote somewhere: If you judge people you have no room to love them. It's all about love, folks. Love people, love yourself. Or, like Kelly and I, love some Mr. C. Whatevs. Off to trim my child's claws (while she's sleeping!). Cheers!
Kelly: I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but after reading this it sort of hit a nerve. Having been in similar shoes such as his, it's very frustrating. People just make assumptions about other people for no reason just for the sake of hearing themselves talk. Living an ordinary life is just too ordinary; some people have to get a rise out of staging a coup in other people's lives. And it's so sad. The question I kept thinking to myself was: is there an end in sight? My answer. I don't think so. Another unfortunate truth. Maybe I'm over thinking this or reading into it too much. Or maybe this is just one of the steps that I as a civilian am trying to take to put an end to this petty nonsense.
I was then thinking about stereotypes...slipping a bit into some things I learned in my summer class. It goes back to that quote that Holly mentioned. And we do it. We ALL do it. We make assumptions about people before we even know them. Though we have absolutely no way of knowing what is going on in their lives as soon as we start hurling those assumptions in our heads. I'm in no way not trying to preach or put myself above the common folk; I'm speaking for myself as much as anybody else who reads this. This is something that I am going to try to work on myself...shut off the assumption filter in my head. It's not easy and I am going to start....now. But I will close with this; just because someone is "posh," "poor," or whatever does not mean that its one size fits all. We are all not a one size fits all.
No comments:
Post a Comment