Friday, August 10, 2012

The love that only few can understand

Holly: I almost totally lost my cool today.  I'll get to why later...in hindsight, it's silly.  But I've learned in my life to have a network of people you can count on whenever you lose your cool in various situations.  Like I said, the person you run to when you're coming unglued depends on the situation; that's the case for me, anyway.  99% of the time, though, that person I go to is my sister.

At work this morning we got started late (hey, it's Friday y'all), and I swore to her up and down that I would be on time to pick her up.  However, later in the afternoon my boss had to bail in order to run an errand, leaving three person work for two people (myself and another co-worker).  In haste I called Kelly and told her that I would, in fact, be late picking her up, and after apologizing over Facebook chat, I thanked her.  And I quote: "Thank you for being so understanding.  Thank you for being obsessed with Martin Freeman with me, because you're one of the only things that's keeping me from completely losing my s*** right now." (Yes. I did swear.  We all slip up, and I'm not perfect, nor do I ever claim to be.  End of story).  Although blunt, it's true.  I honestly can't imagine the person I would be without my sister.

I'll be frank, 99% of the time Kelly and I partake in mind-numbingly boring and stupid activities.  I'll disclose the sister obsessions...let's just say it involves a LOT of Brits!  lol!  What blows me away, and what Kelly pointed out earlier today, is that at 22 years of age and living together for basically that length of time as well...we never run out of things to talk about.  We just GET each other.  But the mind-numbingly boring and stupid activities we do together are the things that we're going to remember when we're in our 90s in a nursing home.  Our relationship is unique.  I'm not saying that every day is puppies and rainbows...we do fight and argue, mostly about stupid stuff, but never anything physical.  But I'm grateful that we're as close as we are, and I can honestly say, although I do love going out just as much as the next girl, I would much rather watch YouTube clips with Kelly and eat moose tracks ice cream.

Kelly: I remember coming home from clinicals and the first thing I would do when I got in the van was start to text Holly. First off to let her know I was heading home and second I wanted to talk about my day. Hey, she was genuinely interested. A lot of times a few of my classmates would be like "who are you texting?" "Why are you texting her?" "Aren't you going to see your sister in like 45 minutes?" Uh...problem? Most of the time I just ignored it. The thing about being us is that having Holly in my life builds up my relationship with Christ. We build up each other in Christ. We hold each other accountable. We pray for each other and we pray together. We talk about Scripture together and we talk about how God is working in our lives. We share in our triumphs and our tribulations. I know some of you are thinking "well shoot I have FRIENDS to do that." Yeah. So do I. But it's different...I can always have that face to face time with a fellow Christian if I need it. And the fact that we are blood related just adds to the bonus.

There are so many things about us that are out of the "norm." We'd rather, like Holly said, eat ice cream and watch YouTube videos than go to a nightclub for drinks. We'd rather talk and giggle about gorgeous Brits and God than about who's with who and who broke up with who. We'd rather stop the negativity than continue to fuel it. I know not everyone is like that, please don't misunderstand me.

On TV, I've heard of stories of people not hearing from or talking to their brothers/sisters for years. YEARS. Ok, let's think. I'm 22 now...gosh. I couldn't even imagine. Could not even IMAGINE not hearing from Holly for years. Now I'm not trying to put our relationship on a pedestal, but I'm merely sharing how special my sister is to me. She can make me laugh as easy as she can tick me off. But it's the way we are. We're human beings who just happen to have the same DNA. But to me it's so much more than shared DNA. It's those moments of laughter, crying, talking and so on that keep us both going. It's those moments that we will remember and thank God for. It's that love that people may try to find but only few actually get.

No comments: