Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Be Happy. Be Healthy...er

Holly and Kelly: My hope for today's post is that it inspires someone who reads this. Almost a year ago (around last May) Holly and I were talking about goals we were trying to set so we could be healthier. We had tried a lot of different things; going to Seabury gym, cutting out sweets and pop and sugar (all of it), and a lot of other things. These things did work...temporarily. We weren't motivated to go to the gym and after a few days of cutting out all sugar and pop we ended up getting frustrated and falling back. Didn't work. So after Holly graduated and we moved where we are now, we were trying to think of what to do. I have food stamps, so we decided to buy healthier food and have switched to whole grains. We only eat enriched when we go out to eat. We don't drink pop as much (ironically I just finished one. Ohhhhhhhh  well). I usually only drink pop 2-3 days a week. At restaurants or when I'm eating fast food I only get a small and only fill it up halfway. Other than that I drink water, milk and coffee with the occasional tea. We also don't eat out as often anymore, probably only 2-3 times a month, sometimes more if we have friends visiting. Sometimes less. And lastly, we walk anywhere from 4-6 days a week, depending on the weather. We walk about a mile (usually to the Community school and back). Since we went shopping today we're not walking today.

L: 1 year ago. R: This afternoon. 
What really irritates me about seeing stuff on the TV and stuff I've seen people do is they do these weight loss pills or "crash" or "fad" diets. If you want to do that fine. I'm not going to judge. But what I will say is doing SIMPLE things WORK!!!

1 year ago. Had to get this dress in a 1X b/c I couldn't fit in any junior sizes. 


This afternoon. Back in juniors! Size 11. Haven't worn that since high school!!! 

Focus on being HEALTHY and not necessarily losing weight.  Do what you are able to do.  We picked walking because everyone knows how to do it, and we stuck with the food mentality of if we keep good food in the apartment, then we'll eat good food.  And moderation is ok.  It really is.  Don't punish yourself: a "treat" every now and then is perfectly fine.  Keep yourself accountable, but don't beat yourself up if you screw up.  Our culture is so unhealthy and it's hard to stay on track; we get it.  But that first compliment you receive, that first thing you try on that's a size smaller than what you would normally wear...it motivates you!  Like we said, do what you are able.  You can do it!  :)

2 comments:

CamilleAshleyMK said...

I know I commented on Facebook, but I still just love this so much. It's so great seeing you both walking and knowing that these little changes that were much easier to keep produced such great results. It inspires me (as I sit here drinking my water sorta wishing it was Mt. Dew lol)

Kelly said...

Thanks for your feedback! And that's the thing that has worked for us the most; treating ourselves every now and then! :D So yeah; have your cake and Mountain Dew sometimes and eat it too! ^_^