Wednesday, March 20, 2013

We are Second. Are you Second?

Kelly: The other day, I was at work when Holly told me that I should watch this video. So I did. If you're not familiar with the speaker presented in the video, you will be. If you've seen Facing the Giants, Courageous, Fireproof or Flywheel, then you're already familiar. Anyway, there are more of these videos and they are speaking on behalf of a non-profit called I Am Second. The basic premise of I Am Second is that God and others are first while we are second. Makes sense? Makes sense to me. But the point of today's post is for us to talk about what we feel it means to be...second. 

Every day, I do my best to live for God and to follow His will in my life. The most simple principles of being a follower of Christ is to love God and to love others. I give 110% of everything that I do, and being in nursing is a prime example of basically getting paid to do what God has called us to do. And it's easy to do! But also, being second to me is keeping your mind open to the possibilities of failures or falling short. And it will happen....OFTEN. But we have God's everlasting strength to catch us when we fall and to pick us up again! Some days are easier than others, especially when things are going right. I think it's harder to be second when things are going wrong, because our inner "me" monsters want to rear their ugly heads. "Why is this happening to me?" "This isn't fair; I don't deserve this!" "Things aren't going my way." "Well I'm going to do it this way because it's about me anyway." I've heard them all. I've said them all. I'm trying to not get consumed with the me-centered world we live in; instead I'm doing my best to live for a God that created all us me monsters in the first place. It's a challenge that has to be taken heavily...daily. But in my opinion, it's worth it.

My name is Kelly, and I am Second...or at least I'm trying to be.

Holly: These videos absolutely amaze and inspire me because it just goes to show how much God will bless you if you let Him!  So many times at church our pastor prays "Get me out of the way."  Our society is so self-centered: how YOU can be more successful, how YOU can be a better spouse, how YOU can get on the road to the American dream, how YOU can have it all, do it all, how YOU can be better, faster, stronger, smarter, skinnier, healthier, prettier, more confident.......

Honestly, I used to be like that.  I used to do whatever was best for Holly.  I used to help people and then think "Well, what's in it for me?"  I used to do whatever it took just so Holly could get her way.  Thank God I've grown up since then and realized that life is not about me.  We are here to love God with all that we are and to love our neighbors as ourselves.  Kind of hard and counterproductive to do that when you're a one man me-fest, isn't it?  For me, being second is simple: start and end every day with God.  Pray consistently.  Thank Him for all that you have, and ask for His mercy to cover those who are less fortunate.  Put other's needs ahead of your own.  Smile.  It's taking some getting used to, and I know I have so much to learn, still. But I'm working on giving EVERYTHING I have to God and having faith that He will carry us through life.  Complete and utter surrender.  It's not easy, but I know it will be worth it.

I am a living testament of God and His grace; I used to be all about me.  But He's gotten a hold of me and given me a joy and spirit for encouraging, uplifting others, and making them laugh.  Who am I to keep that to myself?  

My name is Holly, and I am second.

God can do whatever He wants to do, however He wants to do it.  He chooses to work in our lives because He loves us, because He's good.  -Facing the Giants

No comments: