Monday, October 7, 2013

Packages from Mom

Kelly: It's no secret of mine that I have a close relationship with my mom. With both of my parents actually. But in the past few years, I feel that I have grown especially closer to my mom. Don't know if that's because I've been out of their house since I was 18; officially since last year. We talk at least once a week, sometimes more. I am not ashamed to say that at my age I still need my mommy and daddy! Like a child getting lost in the mall....like that. It's the same way that I need (and we all need) Christ! To those who out there who are not as close to their parents, I hurt, because I do not know what I would do without my parents. I sincerely hope you can work out your differences, whatever they may be. To those of you who lost your parents due to death, again, I hurt. I know you miss them deeply and would love to see them again; I'll say a prayer for you tonight.

But one of the things that my mom did while we were in college was send us random holiday packages...for each holiday. This tradition of holiday packages started around our sophomore year of college. Valentine's Day, Easter, our birthday, Halloween, but not Christmas since we were usually home then. In these packages there's usually candy, candles, a sock monkey or two (for me!), coupons, and other assorted things. Sometimes there have been socks for that holiday, toys for our kitties, or other assorted Dollar store goodies (the very place we introduced our mom to in the first place), but in each one there was always a card or a note that usually says "yay! Good for you" or "you can do it" or "we're so proud of you!" I'm not a mom yet nor I don't know if I will ever be, but I think those are some of the greatest things a parent can, and should say, to their child or children. And they should say it often. And our parents did and still do.

Holly: When Kelly texted me earlier today with the words "MOMMY PACKAGE!!!!" my day instantly got better.  When I got home and perused through this particular package's contents, I said "If I ever have kids, I am going to send them packages too."  I know my parents love me and are proud of me, but sometimes it's the unexpected surprises that remind you just how much you are loved.  And missed.  I miss my mom and dad.  Yes, at 23, I still miss my mommy and daddy, and I don't see that changing any time soon.  I figured that when I moved out and was on my own, I would miss them less.  Nope.  Don't get me wrong, I love being on my own and being independent, but if my parents showed up at my door tomorrow and said I could move back home, I wouldn't spare a second thought.

I know my parents aren't going to be on this earth forever, and it breaks my heart to imagine my life without them.  So for now, I try to cherish the time I do get to spend with them.  Usually it's just for a few days at a time, several months apart.  I appreciate the time I spend with them now, possibly more than I did before I started college, moved out, etc.  I regret that.  I really do.  My parents have been there for me so many times, have believed in my craziest dreams, and have never been shy of voicing how proud they are of me and Kelly and how much they love us.  It kills me when I hear my friends say that they don't get along with their parents, or they never hear their parents tell them that they are proud of them.  Or my friends who still live with their parents but they just don't talk.  When my parents come to visit, that's basically all we do.  I feel like I could talk to my parents all day!

If any of you are reading this and you don't have a good relationship with your parents, maybe it's time to bridge the gap.  If any of you are reading this and your parents aren't with you anymore, I hope you think of them with a smile on your face, tears (of whatever magnitude, if necessary), and love and warmth in your heart.  If any of you are reading this and you still live with your parents, please hug them a little more.  Tell them you love them.  Tell them you're proud to be their son or daughter.  This world is so ugly, as our roommate Brittany said, and it needs beautiful things.  One of our candles from today's mommy package is burning, and now I'm thinking of home-cooked meals, the smell of the house, laughing together.  That's a beautiful thing.


No comments: