Kelly: This has been in numerous conversations between Holly and I. In today's society, now stop me if I'm wrong, it seems to me that the world we live in is very negative orientated. Now what do I mean by that? In my experiences, the stigma associated with being a "good" individual was often looked down upon. In school, one may have heard phrases such as "teacher's pet" or "goody two-shoes." The good behavior in a student was often mocked, while the bad behavior was praised and often overlooked. Bad behavior, such as being disruptive, turning in work late and picking on other students. I, along with sis, was one of the "good" kids. I did my work, turned it in on time, participated when needed and was respectful of the teachers I had. This sometimes resulted in me being the butt of jokes; this also happened in band as well. There was one person in particular who gave Holly and I hell...for no apparent reason. We never did anything to provoke or wrong this person, but that was just the way it was.
I don't know what happened to this person, and I have put behind what has happened and forgiven this person in my heart. But something I will never understand is the fact that everyone seemed to look the other way. Why did nobody stand up for us? Why didn't I stand up for myself? It's not like I was expecting anything like that, but I do wonder sometimes. In today's media, bad behavior is always being reported, and it's often. OJ gets away with murder again, Casey Anthony walks free, and Kim Kardashian is at it again spending millions of dollars to rid herself of a 72-day matrimony. Yet the world we live in EATS THIS UP and young ones, especially girls, look up to people like that and say "I want to be like her!" It absolutely breaks my heart to raise my younger generation in this type of society. So what do we do? I don't know. I don't have a solution. My behavior will not change, that's for sure.
Holly: I'll be honest, because I don't like bragging on myself, but I was pretty much the model child growing up. I did what my parents told me (with the occasional typical grumbling and eye-rolling, of course), I worked hard in school and did well, I always did my homework, I hardly ever went out, I didn't drink, smoke, or party. I'm pretty sure the whole "teenage rebellion" never happened to me. I never gave in to peer pressure, but I'm not saying I was ever tempted. Oh, and listen up y'all, if you've ever heard of peer pressure going away after high school, it's a load of crap. I think it actually gets worse. In high school I was relentlessly called "the smart one", the overachiever, the goody-goody, you name it, I was probably called it. God forbid we ever did the right thing; it was utterly savage.
And to this day it still doesn't stop. I totally killed a work conversation by saying I don't party, and that, no, I didn't get completely hammered on my 21st. It was like I had just admitted to murder. I DREAD conversations like those, because as soon as I open my mouth, even though words are hardly ever spoken, I know I'm getting judged. I hate that. Why does it have to be like that? By my peers I've never been told "hey, good for you and the choices you make". Or don't make, in many instances. I'm the complete and polar opposite of what a 20-something is supposed to be in society: the social butterfly, always going out, hooking up, drinking. Now listen here: I love going out. I enjoy a drink every now and then. I love being social. But you can have fun without drinking, without acting wild and crazy, without threatening your reputation.
I've never been one to follow the crowd. Never have. And I don't intend upon changing anytime soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment