Friday, August 26, 2011

Long live Improv!

Kelly: It is with a sad mind that I write this blog today. Last night, via Twitter, I read from countless Improv actors that the Game Show Network has cancelled Drew Carey's Improvaganza (a spin-off of Whose Line is it Anyway?). After one season, and now it's finished. I read more of Twitter, and to my wee anger, one actor (Jeff Davis) heard of the news by devoted fans such as ourselves. I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed! It makes me sad that the most important roles that made a TV show such as this had to find out from...us. Seems common courtesy is so hard to come by these days *long sigh.* I must say, the show will be missed. As a Whose Line fan since high school, I was so excited when I heard something similar was coming back on the air. However, I still do watch Whose Line every now and then, thanks to stumbleupon and a devoted fan that made EVERY episode available online!!! Thank you, devoted fan!

Though I am sad, I am also looking forward to my future in the improv world. Holly and I will NOT let improv die; in fact, we are planning our 22nd birthday to be very improv-centered. Though it's in April, we've already made plans and have jotted down our favorite games and started making suggestions for scenes. I know, we're crazy, but we're YOUNG and crazy. In other words, we have the free time to do so. Anyway, back to my impending excitement. I must share this story now. When I was still at home, I received a phone call from Holly, who was in England at the time. Apparently, she was curious and looked up tour times for the Colin and Brad show (two actors from Whose Line and Improvaganza who do their own tour across the US). When I pick up the phone, she tells me "you might want to sit down." So I went outside and sat down. And then she told me, THEY'RE COMING TO RICHMOND, KY! Richmond is, no joke, like 15 minutes away from Berea. I screamed. Yes, a full-on scream! Stay tuned, faithful readers, for on November 18 at 8:00 PM, we will be seated at the EKU's Center for Performing Arts in Orchestra seating. I'm still in shock when I think about it, not to mention I still owe Holly $30....working on that.

So readers, though I am sad that I cannot turn on the TV, hoping for a repeat of "Flap My Jack," but I have a gut feeling that for some reason we have  not seen the end of Improvaganza. It's just the optimist in me! :) That's all for now; classes in the afternoon await me. Cheers.

Holly: Long live Improv!!!!!!!!! What I have learned over the years from watching Whose Line and other improv shows is that improv is an art.  I personally SUCK at it and I do realize that everything done on stage, whether the Whose Line stage or the MGM Theater, is entirely made up, on the fly, just like that!  They make it look so easy, and it's a joy, a real joy, to be entertained as such.  It's brilliant, exceptionally brilliant! That's all I can say.

I was still reading the news on Twitter when my roommate came in and I proceeded to inform her that Improvaganza hadn't been picked up for a second season.  What she said sort of struck me, but at the same time, with this generation and TV, it's painfully true: she said that TV lately has been getting cancelled left and right because it's not Jersey Shore, True Life, any other pathetic "reality" shows.  I'm using "pathetic" and "reality" lightly.
So, dear Colin, Ryan, Drew, Jeff, Chip, Sean, Jonathan, Heather, Kathy, and anyone else who provided me such giddiness from Improvaganza: I wish you all the best and hope that future endeavors are soon provided. I'll miss the happiness that your pure, genius, uninhibited talent gave me.







P.S. The last link is "Flap My Jack." Enjoy :) 


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Apologies for the incorrect time. Apparently it's 4 hours off. I have better things to do at 7:56 AM. lol