Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Couch

Holly: This is a true story.

In 1998 our house was added on to.  Let's be frank, a 2-bedroom, 1-bathroom, 2-story house just didn't cut it for a growing family of five.  (Although, to this day, it is still 1 bathroom for five people...when Kelly and I are home from college, that is).  Anyway, when buying furniture, we selected this three-section couch.  It was blue, and the middle section pulled out with two drink holders and a small table-ish thing...which...we never really used.  And the two ends reclined.  It was a good couch.  Served us family very well...and became the favorite honing/sleeping spot when dear Nala entered the picture in February 2008.

Flash forward to about a year ago...

To make a long (and humorous) story very, very, VERY short, the brother invites his friend over and...bippity boppity boop...broken couch!  Couldn't put the foot rest down because it wouldn't go back up.  :(  Sad day in the Korb house. 

Flash forward to about two weeks ago...

Mom, Dad, Kelly and I pay a visit to South Carolina to visit our lovely grandparents, aunt, and two very sweet dogs.  They pass off to us two black papasan-esque chairs that they said would look very nice in our living room.  BING! Instant replacements (or fillers) for broken blue couch!

Flash forward to about fifteen minutes ago...

I just got off the phone with my mom after our routine weekend phone conversations.  She has informed me that the two black papasan-esque chairs are now situated comfortably in the living room and the broken blue couch is gone.  But that isn't even the best part.  Here's how the broken blue couch came to be rid of:

Now, this is strictly based off of what I heard over the phone and Kelly's retelling, but my mom was talking to my brother and dad and she was like, "Let's put the couch outside and put a 'FREE' sign beside it and see what happens."  So, the brother went to work, and Dad was ROLLING IT up the hill, put it up at the end of the driveway and put the 'FREE' sign there!  According to my mom, the couch was placed at the hill at approximately 1:10 in the afternoon.  By 3, the couch.  Was. Gone.

My mom saw the collectors of the couch: this older guy and two other guys, and a pick-up truck.  They come back around after going up our neighbor's driveway, and they proceed to put the couch in the back of the truck, and when they left, Mom said ONE OF THE GUYS WAS SITTING  ON THE COUCH IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK!!!! lawl.

Ladies and gentlemen, according to my roommate, "Redneck First Class."

Only in southeastern Ohio.

Kelly: Jolly good. Jolly good indeed. Mom said that maybe they were taking it to a campsite or a trailer park or something. I'm like, sure Mom. Or maybe some hillbilly in south eastern Ohio just wanted a free couch. Now we're trying to figure out who we're going to tell this story to. Holly's like "hey, I should tell my adviser." Here goes; "Hey, adviser. You wanna hear a funny story? It's about my COUCH." Good times. Man, we need to get a life. Not my words, but there is a wee bit of truth behind that.

Now I'm crowded in my sis's room with her roomie and we're all having a cup of tea. Hopefully there will be a new couch this upcoming weekend at home. Not really sure what it looks like. Having said that, I do have a bit of a concern. I have this MASSIVE test on Tuesday that i HAVE to pass. So basically, the future of my entire nursing career depends on this one test. I'm only allowed to miss two questions on this test, but I do have 3 chances to take it. Please think good thoughts, not only for me but for the new owners of their free couch. Off to have some tea and chat with good company. Cheers!

Basically, Miss Nala ruled the couch

No comments: