Friday, September 23, 2011

Phony Cabbage

Kelly: Happy Friday readers!!!! It's raining here today, and I had to get a flu shot this morning! And it didn't hurt as much as the last time I got one, which is good. Now I have a cool superhero band-aid (thank you Holly's roomie!!) ^__^ Anyway, the theme of this blog is not about shots and superhero sterile strips, rather our lovely church, Berea Baptist. I started attending a little over three years ago when I was a first year student at Berea. I went with a friend of mine who's aunt went there when she was a student at Berea. So we walked into the sanctuary and I even remember the first thing I said when I walked in..."there's a lot of people here." Ok, church background; my church at home on a good day has 25, maybe 30 people. Berea Baptist on a good day has about 300 people! So yeah, I thought that was a lot of people. Anyway, the service went on and that was it. I fell in love with EVERYTHING about it; the music (very contemporary), the people, the sermon and the pastor!

Shortly after attending, I decided I wanted to contribute more to the church because it brought me such great joy every time I go (and it still does!!!!). My sister, the pastor and I had a series of talks about what it means to become a member, so we did and enjoyed those talks. Then, on May 3, 2009, we made it church official and became members. And I've never been the same ever since.

Fast forward to...today. I'm a member of the worship choir (which is super fun) and I still attend every Sunday, or at least try to. Seriously, I get sad if I don't go to church, and in 2 weeks I'll have to miss church, but that's ok because it's for a happy occasion!!!!!!!! :] In addition, this year, the church introduced a new college student ministry specifically for meeting the needs of fine individuals such as us. So last night, there was a cereal and game night. What happened was I was only planning on staying maybe an hour...needless to say I didn't get into my room until 10:15 last night! Good times though, and I love my church and church family. I'll let Holly explain more about last night. Cheers!

P.S. look out for a new blog post from MY blog...coming tonight. :]

Holly: Ohhh...the joys of Apples to Apples.  It was probably the most fun I've ever had playing that game (and I've played it more times than I can count)!  Memorable combinations included "sensitive firestorms", "magical toasters" and "phony cabbage."

But in all seriousness, being a member of Berea Baptist has completely transformed who I am as a person.  Never have I been exposed to a place so welcoming, so loving, so WILLING to hang out with stressed-out college students.  It's rare as someone my age to not only consider the pastor like a second father, but also a dear friend.  You know it's also a good church when your relatively-not-really Christian parents say that if they lived in Berea they would attend!!! And that's saying something!  It really is a unique special place that is very close to me. 

Anyway, I'm really hungry, and food circus gets insane right around 11:45, so early lunch it is for sis and I.  Oh, and on a seemingly random note, I only have one class today.  Hooray for science profs going on a retreat!!!! Which they completely deserve, by the way.  Ok, lunch!  Cheers and blessings to all! :)

P.S. 8 MORE WEEKS UNTIL COLIN AND BRAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: