Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Christian life isn't always easy

Kelly: I'm a bit heavy-hearted tonight. As a Christian, we are called to carry many responsibilities. A lot. I feel that part of my responsibilities include things I find on the web that tickle my fancy. Most of the time it's another stupid cat picture. But tonight was different. I posted on my facebook about an article regarding a book that has recently came out. I won't disclose the title, but the author of this particular article made in my opinion several compelling and Scripture-supported arguments about why she was not going to read the book. After reading the article I realized I felt the same way, but didn't really think about it and the way it connected to the Bible. But the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me.


I posted this article and just left it as it is. And the comments started. A lot. One commentator agreed with me and was not going to read the book as well. Another did not. And those person's comments overpowered those who agreed with me. Some of the comments that were left upset me, because I know in my heart that they are just not true. But I had no words to say. Nothing to defend myself or the God I love. And it hurts in ways I can't even describe. It hurts because I am not like that. I am not someone who "can say whatever I want because I'm a Christian and I can say insulting things all the time." And to be honest, I can understand where these words are coming from. The media is splashed with hypocrisy like the Westboro people who claim to love the same God I do but preach nothing but slander and hate. So I understand. I really do. But what I don't understand is that there are those Christians who love God, love other people and preach joy and act with gratitude but are given the same treatment; a hypocrite. Just another hate-spewing hypocritical "Christian."


And that's not me. It's not. I don't have a mean bone in my body. I wanted to say something, but I didn't. I truly believe words are very powerful, and they can build up but they can also break down. My words tend to break down if I am not in the right state of mind. And even though someone broke me down I was not about to do the same thing. So I will close with this; we are all different people. We are all created in the image of God. And if that is not what you believe then please give me the same respect that I give you, even though our beliefs may differ. If you want to read the book, fine. I only posted the article because I was interested in what the author said. And words were said that should not have been said. I'm not blaming anybody; I'm just trying to live a Godly life.

"But you, man of God, flee from all of this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith." -1 Timothy 6:11-12a

No comments: