Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Sherlock and 7 years later: A memoir and thoughts contributing to a dear friend.


Kelly: I was fifteen years old, just coming home from another night of band practice when I got the news. My best friend's mom actually told us. She said there was an accident that involved two people, one of them being my friend Brian. She then said it was speculated and there was nothing released yet. I got home and my dad called the police to see if there were any reports. Nothing. I went to bed that night and prayed that the rumors were not true. Woke up the next morning to find out that they were indeed true. Brian was gone.

I remember for a while just being numb and in shock. How could something like this have happened? I didn't even cry until the funeral, which was two days later. It was on Friday, July 27. This year the 27th is on a Friday. Ironic. Maybe not. After the funeral I remember being angry for a while. It shook my faith in Christ a lot, and for a while I was angry at God. For taking away a friend of mine that I only knew for a short amount of time. 7 years have since passed. I've grown up a lot and I realize now that God was there the entire time, but I was too angry and I continued to push Him away. Ok, that's not the point.

Last night, Holly and I watched the series 2 finale of Sherlock. Just became addicts this weekend and now we have to wait possibly at least a year to figure out what happens next. If you've not seen this show, DO IT. It is fantastic! Anyway, I will try not to give too much away, but the end of the episode had reached a very climatic end. It was sad, beautiful and just....riveting. I held my breath the whole time. Anyway, at the end, Dr. Watson in a soliloquy, is speaking to a late Sherlock Holmes. He says these words:
"But please, there's just this one more thing. One more thing, one more miracle for me, Sherlock. Don't...be dead. Would you do that for me? Just stop this. Stop this."


I just froze after I heard this. I remember thinking the same things 7 years ago when I first heard the news. Maybe if I woke up the next morning it wouldn't be true. And like me, Dr. Watson was in shock after the horrific death of Sherlock. Just...numb. No tears shed, but just frozen. Like I was. Didn't cry till a few days later. That's when it hit us that Sherlock wasn't coming back. Brian wasn't coming back.  Today, I know Brian is in a better place. And that's not just Christian talk; it's faith. It doesn't have to make sense, but it just is. I long for the day when I will see him again. His life has made me on many occasions examine my own life. What I miss the most about him was his hugs. When I was in school I looked forward to a Brian hug. He was just such a sweet guy with a big heart. It's not goodbye for me, but a see you soon in the future.

Holly: This morning as I was driving to work I was saying that it felt unreal to me that 7 years had already passed, because I still remember EXACTLY what went on that day.  It was just another day of marching band practice.  And then it wasn't...

I was also recounting that the beautifully executed line in Sherlock really struck me because, like Kelly, it was exactly what was going through my mind when the car accident was first just a speculation.  Please, don't let Brian be dead.  Just stop all of this crazy talk.  But, as you've probably figured out, it wasn't just a rumor. 

I posted on my Facebook this morning that Brian was one of those people who made your life better just because he was in it.  I only knew him for a short time, but he definitely up my life in that period.  He made me laugh. All the time.  I only hope that I can live my life like Brian did...much like Dr. Watson did...being a friend.

No comments: