Friday, October 19, 2012

Tips for being happy, healthy and wholesome!

Holly and Kelly: It never fails that over and over again we get asked how we maintain a positive attitude. If you know us, you notice that we are usually have very bubbly personalities. Sure we get angry, sad and stressed and we don't automatically dismiss them when those emotions come along. Our personalities have often been described as "contagious." The secret to how?  We have compiled a list of "how Holly and Kelly carry their contagious positive attitudes" on a seemingly daily basis. Now we are not robots. Some of these things are harder/easier than some, and we fall constantly in one or more of these things. But we're really trying to make an effort.

Take intiative. Take a chance. Sometimes that means you have to pick up the slack. I struggle with this a lot, especially at my job. There's a pile, no...a MOUNTAIN of dirty dishes in the sink. Nobody is assigned to clean the kitchen at my job; we have an honor system...that usually works. Sometimes it crashes and burns. But what do you do? Leave someone else to do it? Assume someone else will take care of it? Yeah I do that sometimes. But other times I just do it myself. Then you always feel better when it's done.

ASK for help when you need it. Face to face! This simple truth took me 9 semesters of college to reach. It's a pride thing, for sure. Since I've taken this 100 level Biology class, I've learned more by going outside of class and talking things over that I don't understand. It makes me more confident. And confidence=happiness.

Make a plan and stick with it. Seriously. What I've been doing in regards of school work is writing weekly to-do lists and crossing things off as I finish. I wish I would have done this last year during my hardest year of school. But better late than never. Also, Holly and I are planning on returning to Europe in 2015 (our 25th birthday European hullabaloo). We've ALREADY started planning....like little stupid things. But hey. Little stupid things turn into great big things if you keep building on them!

Pray. Constantly. Not just for the bad things but praise for the good. And be honest with God. You ain't going to hurt His feelings! If you're happy, tell Him. If you're pissed off, tell Him. If you're unsure about what He's doing in your life, tell Him. I feel like God was real with us when He sent His son Jesus to die for us; I feel it's the least we can do.

Pace yourself. This is the one who tries to do 666634513049852341452345819574 things on a daily basis. It's so easy to get caught up in this, that the other and XYZ and heeeey macarena that you're on the floor at the end of the day collapsed with exhaustion. This holds true for me with my ankle problems; i INSIST that I can do all the things! I have to remind myself that sometimes I have to take a step back, slow down and just take a break. I relate this also to academia; I'm slow. Not a slow reader, but slow as in the MASTER PROCRASTINATOR. So like my weekly to-do lists, I also write to start something earlier than its due. Saves me a lot of cramming and disappointment when I get that paper back that I worked on the night before and see how crappy it really is. Been there, done that. Not doing it anymore.

Say "no" sometimes. And this is hard. This is really hard because I am such a people person and I love hanging out with others and having fun. My friends mean the world to me and I love spending time with them.  But if you know you have something due or if you're just too busy, you may not get to do those fun things. Or if you don't have the MONEY to do those fun things because you've got those bills due that aren't going to go away. Ever. This has been especially hard for us this year since we're on our own now, but it gets easier. It does.

Don't settle for anything less than your best in ALL areas of your life. Yes, this means I've had to be ok with "D's" sometimes because I walked out of there knowing I did my best. I always tell people "yeah I'm not a straight A student and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. But you bet your bottom dollar I will work SO HARD and will never give you anything less than 110%." Easier said than done, but the outcomes definitely outweigh all the tears and blood spilled to get to those outcomes.

Be open minded. I really don't think I need to go into any more detail.

TRY!!!!! When we were younger, our mom would always make us trying food before we decided we didn't like it. And we have kept that same mentality now that we are in our 20's. You never know unless you try. Sure your photograph didn't win the contest. Doesn't mean you should stop photographing. Giving up and quitting has never done any good for me. If I had given up my dream of going to Berea, I'd be probably still living at home going to a local college. And I'd be miserable. If I hadn't listened to my friend when she gave me the GlobaLinks catalog, I NEVER would have discovered Scotland. What's the worst that can happen?  Or be like me (Holly) and take that crazy risk and be a Mary Kay consultant!!! I've only been going at it a week and I have SO MANY ideas and so much support and I can't wait to see what God is going to do with this thing that I have now.

See people. I like faces. I have fostered some of the best relationships here at Berea simply by putting myself out there. Going to a new church with a new denomination. Going abroad. Being AT Berea exposes you to so many different people, and I hid most of my freshmen year because I wasn't used to well...everyone being all up in your business. Then I realized that not all people want to be all up in your business; they just want to love you and they want you to do the same.

Act and don't just speak. We have based this largely on our new healthy habits plan. For years we would tell  ourselves "we should eat healthier" or "let's try this exercising thing" or whatever. We would try those new habits and new exercises for a while, then slowly slip back into our old routines. Finally, this May, we made it simpler and made goals more attainable. The results have spoken VOLUME. We feel better, we're not as tired during the day, we have more energy, our clothes are fitting looser, and we hold each other accountable and keep each other on track. And we don't get bent out of shape if we slip; we get back up and start trying.

Fake it. This is similar to just trying. Some of the times when you see me and I'm happy and bubbly that does not mean I woke up that way. I used to be miss crabby face when I would get up in the morning, but I faked being happy and cheerful. And eventually me faking be happy and cheerful turned me into a happy cheerful person. This happened in BME a lot when our fearless leader would say if we didn't feel like singing or worshipping, fake it. Eventually you just would get lost in the music and let God open up your mind and heart that you would really feel it and let Him in. If I wake up in the morning and I'm tired or grumpy for some reason, I just tell myself: "I do not have to feel this way. It is not going to do me any good to be a Debby downer for the rest of the day. I am going to at least TRY to smile and be happy." Then I pray. It is amazing that when I try this how I change from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. Friends, this isn't always easy. In fact, it's never easy. But it is worth it.

Get up and MOVE every once in a while.  Kelly and I do something that EVERY SINGLE PERSON should know how to do (unless you're a baby): walk.  We walk.  Every day.  Not for long, but still, it's something, it's exercise, it's our time to talk and catch up and just connect with the outside world and nature and God.  If you're on a track to lose weight it is absolutely imperative that you exercise!!! Changing your diet alone does not work! (Trust me, we've tried).  And Kelly and I don't even need to lose weight, we're just simply trying to be healthier.  If you're physically healthy, then all the other "healths" will be strengthened too.

Take a break.  I made a New Year's Resolution back when I was still in school that when times got stressful, break out into bad dancing.  Obnoxious pop music optional.  Sometimes while I'm cooking, or at work standing in the hallway with a dog, or just sitting in the living room I blast loud music and just start dancing and acting stupid.  It's a great release! (Kind of goes hand in hand with getting up and moving.....).  Sometimes you just have to break down your barriers and walls and just act stupid with no regards.  We shouldn't take ourselves too seriously!

Well there you have it. Secret's out!  It ain't rocket science.

No comments: