Friday, August 8, 2014

Being content: Identifying that "spark"

Kelly: Today Holly asked me a serious question. She asked me "how did you know you wanted to do what you do now?" I had thought of this before, but the obvious answer, like when someone asks you how you know if he/she is "the one", what's the most common answer? You just know. Right? Well yeah, that's what I said. It's true, but she wanted more, and on the spot I wasn't prepared to answer that. I had some time to think about it, and I answered honestly; I was passionate about the field I am in. When I was in nursing school three years ago and I was where I currently work, and I saw these patients. Then it hit me; mental illness isn't someone tied up in a straight jacket beating their head against the wall or drooling. These people, because that's what they are before patients, have families, friends, jobs, that they have sometimes given up to get themselves on the road to get better. I told myself that there was so much about these illnesses that I didn't understand, and I wanted to learn more about them.

It's hard sometimes to know what we want to do with ourselves. Sometimes I feel like I still am not sure I'm in the right place. But then, more often, I get affirmations that this is exactly where I am meant to be. So that's that. I love what I do. It makes me sad when I see people doing something where their mind may be in it but their heart is a million miles away. And I also believe that God calls us to do what we do because He gives us that spark in something. I believe that's part of why I ended up where I am now.

Holly: I've had almost 24 hours to mull this over.  I'll keep my part brief.  So here goes:

Hello, my name is Holly Korb.  I graduated from Berea College with a B.A. in Biology.  I've worked 4 jobs in 2 years, 2 of them being temporary, one being part-time.  My last week with UK Biology starts Monday.  In spite of ALL of this, I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life.  There, I said it.

Do I feel ok about that?  Ehh....some days are easier than others.  But while driving to work this morning, I was talking to God about my anxieties, the fact that I've become a bit of a job-hopper, that I'm afraid of getting into a perpetual "What's next?" rut.  And then something kind of dawned on me: Why do we have to be defined by what we do with our lives?  Why can't we be defined by what we live for?  Or, more importantly, who we live for.

The next statement some of you may disagree with (only because I know many people who have their lives planned out, they have dead-set career goals, which is AWESOME. I envy you slightly) but I think that in a society with an unstable economy, at best, I think it's complete crap that this society basically expects us college graduates to know exactly what we want to do as soon as we walk off that stage with our degree.  It's complete crap only for the simple fact that we will probably change our minds.  And if we don't change our minds, then plans change.  Things fall through.  That's just the way it goes.  Jobs are not forever.  Which goes back to my earlier question...why do we have to be defined by what we do with our lives?

Hello, my name is Holly Korb, and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  But I know who I live for, and that's God, and He has all this figured out.  And that has to be enough for now.

No comments: