Saturday, August 30, 2014

Work that doesn't feel like work

Holly: Not too long ago we came across this article:

"It was so much better than real life."

Yes, I know it's another Doctor Who related thing, but bear with us.  The overarching theme is simple: work that doesn't feel like work.  In the above article, Tom Baker mentions how he would grow sad at the end of the day, because he was so enthralled in the fantastic Who world, and his real world wasn't all that fantastic.  We've talked about this at length.  I'm about to start my year of service as an Americorps VISTA, and notice I used the word "service".  Because it's not a job.  It's filling a need, working with common-minded individuals, being a part of something that's greater than yourself, and I know I'm going to enjoy this because for those reasons, but also because I've been trying to get my foot in the door at Berea College for quite some time now.  It's important to enjoy what you do, because it's so, so easy to get caught up in the "jobness" of it all.  I encourage you to evaluate your current position, really consider if you enjoy it.  If not, perhaps it's time for a change.  It's never too late.

Do any of you have a job that doesn't feel like a job?  Would be happy to hear! :)

Just a little something to remember: Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. -1 Corinthians 15:58b

Kelly: So often when I talk to people about what I do, I get the response of "wow that must be so hard." Well yeah, sometimes it is. But sometimes it's like going to the grocery store, or to church or just out in town. More often than not I just talk to my patients. Not about their illnesses, their medications (though sometimes I do) but just about stuff in their lives, or what's on the news, or if someone said something funny. But really, anybody can talk to people. Put aside the fact that they have a mental illness or two, but yeah. And that's one of the reasons why I love what I do, because I love talking to people. I think that a friendly face can make a difference in someone's day. I did one small act of kindness and just talked to a patient, and at the end of the day she smiled at me and said "you made my crappy day a lot better." It's the little things, like Holly said, filling a need. It also helps that this was something I wanted to do; this field. I'm never bored, and most often it really doesn't feel like work. To me, it's a tell tale sign that I really enjoy what I do.

When I watch Tom Baker's era as the Doctor, I can see his passion and his love for the Who-niverse in his eyes, smile, and demeanor. You can tell he just adores what he is doing in the moment. I think that's why he stayed as long as he did. So there you have it. You can make the best of any crappy job situation, and it's hard. It takes a lot of work, but you can do it! Give it a go; you'll be amazed at how much your mentality will change.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I hope I can make the best of my job in the nursing home (or any other location). And I do hope I find purpose there.

Kelly said...

You will. Trust God with that. He will place you where He wants you, and when you know, you will know. :)