Holly: I wish I could fully describe what I saw today. But, I am bound to space, as well as words. So I'll just recount as best as I can:
This afternoon was our BME retreat: full of singing, laughing, growing together, and getting to know each other. But this one was different than all the others. Very, very different. Our assistant director/piano player extraordinaire (and I'll just be frank...he KNOWS what he's talking about!!) began speaking about when there is freedom from all the junk in your life, then there's purpose. We sang a song. The song simply said "I just want to thank You, Lord." About 10 minutes later there wasn't a dry eye left in the church. People were praying for each other, hugging one another, crying, sharing their stories...God literally exploded in the church today. Never have I seen so much unity, love, bravery, and faith expressed in one place than I did today.
I'll be frank again: I have met people during my time at Berea that have gone through things that an 18, 19, or 20-year-old should NOT go through. I have met professors during my time at Berea that have gone through things a professor should NOT go through. Compared to the majority of the population at Berea, I have it made: I come from a very loving and supporting home with BOTH my parents in it. I never needed to worry if I was going to have enough to eat for the day. Yeah, I didn't get everything I wanted, but I didn't have to worry about the essentials. The majority of my family is still very much alive and well. And today I saw students who come from horrendous situations, yet were willing to take a stand and say "Yes, I still have hope. I still have faith."
God blew my mind today. He is so good!
"Lend me your ears," thus says the Lord
"And know that My word will not return void.
"Your time I sustained, there's no need to fear: I'm restoring the years you've sown in tears.
Restoring the years you've sown in tears."
In other news, I'm about to watch "Boss" and yesterday's almost made me cry (and believe me, I don't do that very often), so............
Kelly: As a chaplain in this ensemble, I must say that there is a lot of need in the small community that I am humbled to serve in. Like Holly said, there are just some things that some of these people have gone through that nobody should EVER have to go through in their lifetime. Yet they walk so tall with their heads up high, and that kind of attitude only comes from God. It has to. Seriously, there's no other way.
Something else that was mentioned that is on my mind is having an "attitude of gratitude." I mean, just thinking about the small things that every day we take for granted. Somebody didn't see the sun shine this morning. Somebody didn't have any breakfast this morning. Somebody didn't put both feet on the floor when they woke up. But I did. I woke up this morning with the sun shining and a smile on my face...followed by a "oh crap, I guess I better get out of bed." But at least God woke me up this morning. :D
I will close with these words that I am listening to as I type this:
Grace and Peace
Grace and Peace to you from God our Father
And the Lord Jesus Christ
No comments:
Post a Comment