Friday, November 28, 2014

Growing up is hard to do

Kelly: As you all know, yesterday was Thanksgiving. I had to work, so as a result we went back to Ohio last weekend to do Thanksgiving then. One of the things I've learned about being an adult in the real world is that sometimes, actually a lot of times, it requires sacrifice. Time away from family and loved ones, and sometimes it involves being away from your family and loved ones when you really really want to be with them. That was me yesterday; driving on the way to work and instead of working wanting to be snuggled up on the couch under the roof I spent 18 years of my life, smelling the aroma of turkey and pumpkin pie while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade followed by the National Dog Show. Memories. Fun-filled and joyous memories. If there's one thing I've learned though about being away from the home you grew up in is that some people end up finding another home away from home. That's how we are still here in Berea, because this has become our home away from home. And part of finding your home away from home is finding your family, whether or not they are related by blood or not.

One of my "grown-up" lessons I've held onto the past 6 years I've lived here is that no matter what the circumstances, how old you are, or whatever is running around in your head, you should never feel ashamed or uncomfortable to tell your extended family "hey, life is great right now" or "you know, things are just sucky and I need prayer or a hug" or "oh my gosh I love each and every one of you." And when it comes to family, sometimes it turns out they need you too. I don't really know how to wrap this up but with this; I have grown up a lot. Circumstances and changes have somewhat in a way forced me to. But one thing is for sure, in an ever changing world is an unchanging God who gave me a big ol' Earthly family. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and remember to keep thanking God for your many blessings.

Holly: If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that most of my "wisdom" has come from my observations of just watching those around me live.  I've never been much of a crowd follower, and it really irritates me...actually, makes me sad...that so many my age are still acting like they're stuck in high school.  Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time I'm a complete goofball.  But what in the world is with all the DRAMA? Still?! If the worst thing that happens in your day is that you're pissed at your parents or someone "told you off", then you still have it pretty well off, in my opinion.  I'd love to be pissed at my parents sometimes, even if it meant that I got to spend one more day with them.  As it stands now we're lucky to see our folks 3-4 times a year.  If that.  I don't mean to whine, but it's like what Kelly said earlier: being involved in the real world means sacrifice sometimes.  Also part of my "wisdom" is perspective: there is always someone who has it so much worse than you do, and when it's all said and done, we have a lot more to be thankful for than we realize.

I have an amazing support system, serve an amazing God, have the best parents a girl could ask for, a job that I adore, and yes, I'm still single and enjoying that as well.  Society thinks female 20-somethings should either be in a serious relationship or married with kids by then.  Something else I see so many my age doing is just bouncing around from one relationship to the next...it's almost as if singleness scares them.  IT SHOULDN'T.  Ok, I've been jumping around a lot, but there is a point to all of this, I suppose: I had someone tell me last night that Kelly and I are admired because of our attitudes regarding our circumstances.  Yeah, life is hard sometimes, and yeah, sometimes it's easier to mope and feel sorry for ourselves, but it's a choice: how we feel about it, how we react, despite how we may be feeling.  Heck, it's a choice to breathe a prayer of thanks to God for what you DO have despite how you may be feeling.  Is it easy?  No.  No, sometimes it really isn't.  But one last thing about growing up is that you do not have to be a victim of your circumstances, and you have the power to choose who remains in it for the long haul.

What are some lessons you have learned over the years?

Just for fun, here's H and K at 17

No comments: