Monday, May 28, 2012

Change EVERYBODY can believe in!

Kelly: No, this has nothing to do with politics, I promise. It actually has to do with, well...us. Last night, Holly and I stayed up until the wee hours talking about everything. Everything on our minds, and our hearts. The conversation started with me, pondering over a very powerful sermon that was spoken. When I was about to go to sleep, I was thinking to myself about my walk in Christ. Ever since I re-affirmed my faith in Christ over three years ago, I as well as others have noticed a change in me. A positive change. But in the midst of yesterday's sermon, I realized that "a good change" isn't enough anymore. I have to be perfect. If we want to live a Christ-like life, then we ALL have to be perfect.

Sure, easier said than done, right? That was the first thing that popped into my head. Well gee, thanks for lowering my self-standards to the point of almost non-existence. HELLLLOOOOOO!!!!!! The flashers went off in my head. This life, that I am living, is NOT. ABOUT. ME. It never has been!!! People, readers, it's about choices. I by myself cannot be perfect, but with God I can. It says in His word: "With man, this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Now please don't misunderstand me. I am in no way trying to preach. We are just sharing what is going on in our lives and what we are going to do about it. Anyway, while sitting in church, I realized that I do the "big things" as a Christian and I do them well, well...you know what I mean. But then I thought of the "little" things; in my opinion the things that should matter. Then, it hit me again; accountability. I've never really asked for it. Ever. Many times in the past I have gotten these ideas of how to be a "better" Christian and what I can do. Everything goes hunky-dory for about a week or two, then all of a sudden I can feel myself slipping back into my old ways. Nobody was there to keep tabs on me, so for me it was just really easy to forget about what I was wanting to change. Before I knew it, I let myself take over again.

This is where you (the readers) come in. The changes we are making, though are important, are between us and God. If you are interested in what they are, please feel free to ask and we will be happy to discuss them with you. However, our request is simple; every once in a while, however often you feel led to do so, if you wish to do so, just see how we're doing. Doesn't matter how you ask, but this is something we would really appreciate. Think about it, consider, and if not, well then, now you know what's going on in our world. :]

Holly: Something else that's been weighing on us for a bit, and this is especially for our Christian readers (but if you're not and still would like to contribute, by all means please feel free...any advice is sound and considered), is how we should read our Bibles.  Is there a right way?  Is there a wrong way?  How often?  How do you know what to read?  The thing is, I've tried the lists, the devotionals, but to me, it encourages passivity and the act of merely "checking things off a list".  aka TOTALLY missing the point of growing in the Word.  I've also tried reading whatever is on my mind for the day, and it goes ok for a bit, but then 2, 3, 4 days pass with nothing.  Are we making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Friends, please do not misunderstand us.  I love that my faith is being challenged right now.  I don't think you should EVER stop questioning what you believe in and why you do what you do.  That's my advice to you all: never stop questioning!

I cannot emphasize with Kelly enough: GET ON US ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Please.  And pray for us.  The change thing is going to take some time, and our lives are going in very different directions now.   Thanks all.  :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you for looking for accountability. That's a tough thing to do, but really valuable. On Bible time... my quick "in a blog post comment space" answer is, pick a book--maybe John. Open it the first day, and read until something strikes you. Pause there, think about it, journal about it, blog about it, whatever. The next day start where you left off and go until the Holy Spirit brings something notably to your attention and stop there to meditate on it.

You may get through one verse or five chapters, but it will be driven by what the Holy Spirit is showing you rather than your whim or a checklist.

Brian Proffit

Holly said...

Thanks for the advice, Brian!!! Always someone I've been able to look to for spiritual wisdom. I will definitely try that! :)