Tuesday, April 23, 2013

30 Days of Writing: My body and how I feel about it

Kelly: I feel that this can be a touchy subject for some. I'm surprisingly not one of those people. Overall I am very comfortable with myself and the way I look. I feel good about myself and the way I look and feel. Of course some days are hard; with my ongoing ankle problems it can damper my self-consciousness sometimes. Big bulky braces really do cramp your style and are definitely NOT the most glamorous.

But ever since I started taking care of myself better, I have been impressed with what has come out of it, even though I haven't really done anything crazy. But the results speak for themselves; I have more energy during the day, some of my clothes are fitting looser, and my daily walk with sis is something I genuinely look forward to each day. Also, I am a child of God; He didn't create the "perfect" person. I've learned that He created me for just the way I am, and sometimes it's discouraging because you want to be "pretty" and "beautiful." What does that even mean anyway? I'm not sure, but I love the way I am and that's not going to change, big ugly braces and all. I've attached a video at the end of this post; I saw it today in my nursing leadership class. For those of you struggling with body image and self-esteem, please watch it. Even if you're not struggling, please watch it anyway.

Holly: 9 times out of 10, I am happy with the way I look.  I'm down about 10 pounds since I graduated almost a year ago.  I can fit into smaller shirts and dresses.  I take up walking with Kelly and I think that's helped with the way I look, but it's a good time for us to catch up and talk.  I eat A LOT healthier; I don't crave pop as much as I used to...I nowadays drink it maybe 2-3 days a week, sometimes less, sometimes more, but not every day.  I look at pictures from back when I first started college and I can tell a big difference between now and then.

But then again....I'm a 20-something young woman, and of course there are things about my body that I want to fix.  I'd love to lose 10 more pounds, although many argue I don't need to.  Which they're probably right...but that doesn't mean I still don't want to.  I'd love to fit into single-size pants again, something I haven't been able to do since before high school (but I think I'm getting pretty close...some of my 10's are getting a little loose!).  I am of childbearing age and know I need to start taking folic acid, even though I'm years away from wanting children.  I always need to drink more water.  I can't stand the fact that I'm so fair-skinned; it doesn't take much for me to get burned.  Blame it on the Scandinavian genes.  But do I obsess over these things? Of course not.  I'm not about to go on a crazy diet and work myself exhausted (which doesn't work, by the way.  Sorry).  I know what I need to do, what's working for me, and for now, I am happy with what I am.  :)


No comments: