Friday, April 12, 2013

30 Days of Writing: Something you feel strongly about

Kelly: Freedom, if used appropriately. Now what do I mean by appropriately? Well, take it as a judgment call; if you feel it's a good time to speak up, then do so. If not, then for the time being keep quiet. This is something that I particularly struggle with at times, but it is something I'm doing my best to work on. It's so simple to sometimes just blurt out whatever is on our hearts or minds. Yet we have the freedom to do that...and sometimes that can bite us in the bum. We also have the freedom to choose; how we think, how we feel, what we say or don't say, what we do or don't do, and how we treat others. We also have the freedom to listen or to turn the other cheek and ignore. It's all a choice. We also have the freedom to have our opinions, yes, even if they hurt others. Hence why I feel about using freedom appropriately.

We also have the freedom to accept Christ as our Savior or not. He gave us that choice. Heck, he gave us the freedom for ALL of the choices we have in life. Either way I won't force my beliefs down any one, but I will freely love all people, no matter what race, color, gender, sexuality, or relationship status. I will freely choose to speak words of love and kindness, especially to those who wrong me...because in my opinion they're the ones who need it the most. I will freely think positively of others and do my best to give people the benefit of the doubt; we don't know what burdens the world is carrying at any given time. Simple, but difficult at the same time.

Holly: Love.

I believe that love is one of the most powerful forces on this planet.  People do all kinds of things in the name of love.    But I think love goes beyond just being nice to people, which we should be doing anyway.  Imagine how the world would change if we intentionally did things for other people, not expecting anything in return, but because we ought to love those above ourselves.  I think wars would stop from things like this.  We aren't on this world to live for ourselves; we're here for God, and for others.  It's kind of hard to love others when you have the me-blinders on.  Loving people, for me, means putting other people's well-beings, feelings, and needs above my own, but also meeting them right where they are, regardless of my feelings, beliefs, opinions.  I believe love and acceptance go hand-in-hand; I think it kind of has to.  To truly love someone is to accept them regardless of ALL their flaws, weaknesses, difficulties...I mean, Jesus does that for us every single day.

Some of you may not agree with me, and that's ok.  But sometimes I think we get just being nice to people and loving people mixed up.  I know I still have a long way to go, trust me on this one.  But like I said before, imagine how vastly the world would change if we simply did things for others.  Love is acceptance.  Love is cooperation.  Love is smiling at a stranger, even if you're having a bad day.  Love is holding the door for someone when your own hands are full.  Love is reaching out to those who are hurting, even if you yourself feel stuck in an abyss of neverending darkness and loneliness.   Love is being the first one to say you're sorry.  Love is trying to find a way to work through international issues, instead of threatening nuclear missiles at one another.  Love is laughter.  Love is holding your kitty in the kitchen first thing in the morning.

To me, love wins.  It always should.

No comments: