Monday, April 15, 2013

30 Days of Writing: Some things you'd like to say to an ex

Holly: Well...this is kind of interesting.  Not because of any ill-will or hard feelings, but because that part of my life was practically ancient history. We haven't talked in a while.  I'm such a different person now, and I'm willing to bet that you are too.

It's silly, actually, because when I talk to other people about you I still refer to you as "my ex", only for the simple fact that even though that part of my life was so long ago, you're still the only boyfriend I've ever had. Do I still think about those days? Of course I do.  Even though the relationship was short, I was happy, and I really did care about you.  I mean, it's not like I was expecting marriage or anything.  Honestly, I don't know what I was expecting.  I was 16.  I was an immature, star-eyed junior in high school who changed her dreams about every five minutes.  I found my MySpace blog a while ago...I couldn't shut up about you.      Seriously.  It was kind of ridiculous, actually.  But it definitely made me smile.  I'll be honest, after we broke up, I was really hurt and really confused for a really long time.  I blamed myself.  I look back on it now and it's just silly...high school romances rarely last and it was such a short run for us.  But when I fall for something, I fall for it hard and it takes a long time for me to let go.  Eventually though, I did.  I built my own life here in Berea.  I'm so happy now, and I sincerely hope you are too.

I will say this: you were a really good friend to me, after it was all said and done. I feel dumb saying this, but I hope that there's no hard feelings, even after all these years.  I hope I was good to you back then.  You're going to be an amazing music teacher someday.  Like I said earlier, we haven't talked in a while...drop me a message sometime, I'd love to catch up.

Kelly: I'm not where I want to be, but I'm not who I used to be. This is hard, because I've...never really been in a serious relationship. I was a freshman in high school and two of my friends wanted me to go out with a friend of mine and a friend of theirs...who was 2 years younger than me. We knew each other through band but that was about it. Yeah we did the silly "maybe this will be something more" taunts, flirts and other things young kids do when they're in "love." Classic school boy and school girl crush; nothing really more to me.

I don't want to say too much for the fear of hurting people's feelings, but I will say this; I wasn't ready. I wasn't a good "girlfriend" at the time and I don't know if I ever would have been a good one. I was young; I didn't have much say in the relationship, and I didn't feel like I was in control. Maybe if I had more time things may have been different. Maybe if I knew what I was doing....I don't know. And now; we both have grown up. It's been a while...a long while since we've last had a conversation, and I still remember what the conversation was about. I didn't know what to say, but I do now. Please...don't wait for me, because I'm not coming home. I've made Berea my new home, and I have a life here that I love. You deserve someone who will give you everything that you need, and as hard as this is for me to admit I'm not that person. Perhaps you don't feel the same way now, and maybe you've even forgotten about me. Whatever the case may be, I sincerely hope that you are happy and doing the work that God has blessed you with. I don't regret the time in which we were together and the times we were friends in high school, not at all. In fact it's completely the opposite. If you want to get back in touch with me great, and I've tried as well. If not, that's ok too; I'm not mad or angry, and I hope you're not angry with me. If you do want to talk though you know where to find me.


No comments: