Wednesday, May 28, 2014

30 Days of Doctor Who: Least Favorite Actor and Favorite Actress

Kelly: The first one...it's not nice. I don't have a least favorite. Really. I think everyone who has ever been on the show has done an excellent job, even if they were given obnoxious or just downright awful roles. That is all. When it comes to my favorite actress, I really had to think about this one. I think all of the actresses who have been companions/guest stars/whatever have all done a wonderful job. Each has played their role so well, so this was a hard choice. But the winner for me is....Karen Gillan.

Amy Pond. :) 
After 10's run, it took me a while to REALLY warm up to not only the 11th Doctor, but a new cast, new producer, new writers, etc. I have yet to see any of Karen's other work, but I have a few things on my list that I will be checking out within the next couple of months or so. I think she did such a good job of portraying Amy as someone that is easily identifiable; I relate to Amy in a lot of ways. She's married to a nurse (!!!) and for a while is torn between following the Doctor or settling down with a husband and a domestic life. But in the end, she chooses her husband, even though the circumstances were quite tragic...SPOILERS. Plus, I love the fact that she and Matt are still good friends. :) So yeah. Like I said, this was a hard choice for me, but don't knock change; you may end up really liking it!

Holly: So I also have to agree with Kelly on the "least favorite actor" bit.  Honestly, this show employs some incredibly, incredibly talented actors.  I truly feel each and every one of them give 110% in their roles.  There's some big names on this show and they all just do an awesome job!  Seriously.  Major props from me to them.  Anywho, that's that.

In terms of favorite actress, while I also utterly adore Karen Gillan (seriously, I follow her on Twitter and she is just so stinkin' cool and down-to-earth.  I would love to have coffee with her sometime), I am surprised at how much I fell in love with Jenna Coleman's portrayal of Clara.  She's only been on the show for a short time, but she, like the other companions, has the utmost of devotion for the Doctor.  And I love that.  We watched "Day of the Doctor" last night (!!!!!!!!!!) and there's a scene towards the end where the three Doctors literally have their hands on a button to destroy their home planet and everyone and everything else on it.  But it's Clara who gets through to Eleven and says "No.  These are your people."  She just gets him; she's almost motherly to Eleven. She's the Impossible Girl.  She comes on as strong and snarky, but doesn't really let on just how unsure she is, especially since Eleven seems to know A LOT more about her than he lets on.  I am really excited to see her in her first full season with a new Doctor.

In addition to all of that, Jenna Coleman is just beyond adorable.  I love her energy and her attitude; it's a lot like me! :)

No comments: