Kelly: The End of Time. The first time I sat through it, I along with Holly, cried through the majority of the second half and periodically throughout the first half. It's a beautiful and very sad story of 10's departure. But the second time around, the end didn't make me cry at all. It was when he realized that Wilfred was trapped and he would have to let him out, thus sacrificing himself. SPOILERS.
One thing I love about David Tennant is that he is good at saying so much without saying a single word. It's at this moment where he knows what is about to happen, and there's nothing else to be done. But me? I could do so much more! So much more! But this is what I get. My reward. And it's not fair. Oh. I've lived too long. In the previous special, The Waters of Mars, we see The Doctor trying to be a God; trying to save those that were not intended to be saved. But when's about to...well...you know, he goes back to those he met along his life; those he saved without them really knowing it, but for them, it was ok. Mickey and Martha, Donna, Sarah Jane and Luke, and of course Rose. Rose was the first and last set of eyes the 10th Doctor saw. Seeing him leave, and say goodbye, was like losing a friend. This was the Doctor I fell in love with. In the end, he just lets go; lets go of the fact that he has lived for a very long time. But his words, his expressions, all of it, were real and genuine, because he, along with most of Who viewers, have lost someone. We know what that's like, what it feels like, and to see that realness on the big screen just stuck with me. Stuck with the both of us so much that we waited almost a month in between from the End of Time finished until we started Season 5. Yeah. For real.
Holly: So I was going to also pick "The End of Time"...which, let me just say this, made ME cry, and I don't cry at anything. Ask anybody. And Kelly so beautifully described it above that I don't think I could add any more to it, even if I tried. Having said ALL that, a sad episode for me was season 6's "A Good Man Goes To War".
This episode has a lot of stuff happen in just under an hour: The Doctor and Rory find Amy and newborn Melody, with a very, very touching scene between the four of them about halfway through the episode. The Battle of Demon's Run is on the verge of breaking out, but the Doctor manages to peacefully stop all fighting; even Madame Vastra is pleased, calling it his highest hour. And then almost instantly, fighting starts and lives are lost. Little Melody, it turns out, is a Flesh Avatar, and she disintegrates in Amy's arms. The Doctor tries to console her but she backs away from him. One of the Doctor's unknown admirers, Lorna, dies as well, reminiscing about her childhood encounter with him in the Gamma Forest. And River. River confronts the Doctor, almost blaming him; it's at this point that even the Doctor realizes just how powerful he really is. Turns out the enemies are afraid of our favorite Tardis-traveling Time Lord. I won't even mention the River storyline...we find out who she really is. SPOILERS.
There's a lot more to it than this. Truth be told, it's been a while since I've seen this episode, but it's powerful good stuff. I liked Matt Smith at this point, but from here on out he just gets better. (And I'm only saying this because we watched "The Rings of Akhaten" last night and oh my word. Just oh my word).


No comments:
Post a Comment