Kelly: Holly and I would like to talk about something we love very much, other than Jesus Christ, our family, friends, each other, Berea College, etc. Yep, this is another "this is why we love this" blog. But today's topic is actually regarding a television show, one of our favorite television shows to be exact. I'm not saying it IS our favorite, because MY favorite of anything changes every five seconds or so, so I'll just say it's one of our favorites. I think you get the point. Anyway, today we're talking about Whose Line is it Anyway? If you don't know what that show is, I pity you.
Our love for this improvisational comedy started.....oh, man I can't even remember. I watched it on and off in high school when I could, and at one of my friend's birthday parties we did some improv and had a great time! Holly took a drama class in high school, but she probably could tell you more than I can (I'll have her mention the gun story. Don't worry; nobody was hurt). But going on, it wasn't until this summer when Holly and I were on campus in our cozy basement room and for some reason we just wanted to start watching it again. So we did. I actually found a website (thank you Lord for stumbleupon) about a year ago that has EVERY SINGLE episode, both the US and UK versions online!!!!!!!!! Every night though this summer, we would watch 2 or 3. Some had us chuckling every now and then, while some had us on the floor in tears laughing so hard. Seriously, I LOVE COMEDY. Laughter in my opinion is the best medicine; for me it
provides distraction, relieves the stresses of nursing school and allows me to spend time with my sister. And it's contagious! One part of an episode sometimes keeps us laughing for days!!
Now though, since sis and I are so busy, we usually watch Whose Line once a week, sometimes 2 days a week. Every time though we get the same satisfaction of living just a few seconds longer. I read a study on the internet that said every time you laugh you live 2 seconds longer. I think I just added 10 years to my life since we started watching Whose Line again. And the best part? NOVEMBER!!! What's going on in November? Well, the definitely us going to Richmond (about 15 mins. away) to see a live performance from none other than Colin and Brad (2 regulars from Whose Line!) I've read NOTHING but good reviews, and I must say I am so freaking excited beyond belief! 6 weeks on Friday! November 18. Remember that day, folks. I close with this; laugh. Find something, anything, every day that makes you laugh. You will be amazed at how much better you feel. That's all. Off to bed; my butt's gotta get up at 4:00. No, not PM. Cheers!
Holly: Oh man, this is so great! I really have nothing conducive to add to this (other than my pathetic attempt at improvisational comedy), so I will just reiterate what my dear sister said and say that I will cherish those basement room memories, and the countless times since then, for the rest of my life: growing closer as sisters and laughing at four fully-grown adults making complete goofs out of themselves and getting numerous laughs from just a couple of stressed-out college kids! And I do agree and fully support the theory that laughing really does make everything better.
Ok, now for the story, and I promised myself that if I ever got the opportunity to meet ANYONE from Whose Line that I would share this story (so Brad and Colin, beware): My junior year of high school I did backstage work for the drama club, and one day my teacher/the director asked me if I would play a small, non-speaking role as "the killer" in the play (I wasn't even credited...no one really even knew it was me, except the cast and crew). Of course, I enthusiastically agreed, but the only condition was that I had to fire a gun onstage. Don't worry...it was just a starter pistol loaded with blanks. Opening night comes around, it's a totally packed house, and the lights go down and it's my time: I tiptoe on stage in my all black and earphones (yes, it was loud), and I go to pull the trigger and I hear a "click". Nothing happens. I pull the trigger a few more times, but "click", "click", "click". Not even a few seconds have passed, and, realizing the gun is not going to work for me, I yell "BANG!" as loud as I can. The audience completely erupts in laughter and (bless their hearts) the cast continues as if the gun went off.
All I have to say is, 1. thank God the play was a comedy, and 2. my teacher/director absolutely LOVED the "bang!", so much so that it was kept in for the next two shows!
I am also completely stoked out of my mind for November. Just in case you didn't already know that. Hope you've laughed today. :) If not, then, watch the video below (it's Kelly and I doing what we love to do on a Friday night). Blessings.
Have you laughed today? :)
(video shooting courtesy of my roommate Amanda!)
No comments:
Post a Comment