Sunday, October 23, 2011

Man, these times are hard

Kelly: It started with church today...the topic of this blog. But before I delve into the real purpose of this blog, I must say watching very....oh ok, cute Danish gymnasts perform in front of our very eyes was definitely worth getting out of my room for! Mmmm mmmm...good! Ok enough about that; time for what is really on my mind. It actually started in Sunday school; our class is doing a video series by a pastor named Andy Stanley (he is FANTASTIC!!!) called Twisting the Truth. It is exactly just that; how an invisible world (Satan) is attacking and twisting the truth of our visible world...here. Folks, this is such true stuff; we cannot ignore it! Anyway, today's discussion was about exactly how twisted this world is. For real.

One particular example I could not get out of my head was Westboro Baptist church. If you don't know who they are, then you are a blessed individual. I'd rather not explain all it is that they do, because thinking about it makes me physically ill. But I mentioned in my class that sometimes people can try to twist God's truth, and so on and so forth. Then came to the message...titled Stronger Together. Over the past year or so, our pastor mentioned that there have been several issues regarding our church unity; basically there are tensions that are keeping some of us congregation members divided. It just saddened me actually; was I just naive or was I completely unaware that these issues were even going on?

Even if it's not what you believe in, just hear me out; the world is so full of....crap. Crap that is threatening to change our views on culture, race, and each other. So many of us are hurting day after day, but all this world seems to be worrying about is who to blame for the next financial crisis, the next recession, or finding the next predictor of Earth's tragic demise. In my honest opinion, this world needs more than just us good-hearted people; it needs a Savior. Readers, I am not trying to preach, but please don't misunderstand me. It's up to us to combat this evil in the world and hold true to what we believe in. Because honestly, in this day and age, for some people it's all they've got.

Holly:  I really have nothing to add, except this: Whether or not you pray, believe in God, it doesn't matter: please be thinking/praying for our beloved church.  It has changed my life for the absolute better and the fact that there is so much hurt going on that I didn't know about hurts me.  And if there is anything that any of you are going through that you feel comfortable enough to share with us, please do.  Let me know if I can pray for you or help you in any way.  :)

I was introduced to this song today.  Yeah, I know, it's about birthdays...but really listen to it! It's so much more than that. 

Just Another Birthday- Casting Crowns


Sixteen finds me
Blowing out candles and making wishes
And all around me
Is everyone but the one I'm wishing for
And he sent me flowers
And gift-wrapped excuses
From a daddy whose daughter
Wants to see him again

And I know, I know
It's just another birthday
But I guess I thought
This would be the one
When he would call me, see me
Hold me and free me
But it's just another birthday

And I'll be fine
I'll be fine

Nineteen finds me
And I'm wild-eyed and wide open
I gave myself away to love
But backseat promises fade like a mist
I'm screaming at the midnight air
Everyone hears me but I don't care
My heart's clenched just like a fist

Cause, people, I didn't ask for any of this

And I'm not fine
I'm not fine

In the company of strangers
In a cold and sterile room
All alone with a child inside me
And I don't know what to do
Jesus, can You hear me
Come and heal my brokenness
Put the pieces back together
And be a Father to the fatherless

Twenty-one finds me
Blowing out candles and making wishes
And all around me
My barefoot princess twirls and sings
It's so amazing
Looking back at all God's brought us through
You are my happy birthday
And you were born to break the chains

Now I know, I know
It's not just another birthday

Cause I'm here, shes here
And look how far we've come
Since you've called me, saw me
Held me and freed me
Thank you, Lord, for another birthday
And we'll be fine
We'll be fine

No comments: