Holly: Missing the Richmond shuttle was the best thing to have happened to Kelly and I last night.
My overly gracious and amazingly awesome roommate saved the day by driving us up to the theater to partake in what Kelly and I saw as "reliving our childhood": Yes, folks, we watched The Lion King in 3D!
We aptly called this Friday night adventure "reliving our childhood" because this movie came out originally in 1994...we were FOUR years old!!! Crazy to think back on that! From the first opening sounds of "Circle of Life", I had chills everywhere and, almost instantaneously, I was five years old again. Watching it again at 21 made it much more surreal; the 3D just completely captured and perfected this Disney classic that I will probably watch again and again, even when I become old and decrepit. Also interesting and sort of awesome to note: Many of the children that I saw in the theater last night were probably seeing that movie for the very first time! CRAZY!
What really sold me this time was the music! Never in the umpteen times that I have seen this movie have I ever been so captivated by the music; I was singing along to every song in the theater (nonetheless probably pissing off the people in front of us, but, hey, I paid a small fortune for this ticket and I was going to get my money's worth!). I was so much so captivated by the music that when I returned home to my shoebox Berea dorm I proceeded to download several Lion King tracks, including a few from the second movie!
Bottom line: If you get the opportunity to see Lion King 3D, SEE IT! Do not miss it! Period!
Wait, there's no mountain too great...hear these words and have faith, have faith!
Kelly: (this is straight out of my journal. I wrote this this morning)
He lives in You, He lives in me. He watches over everything we see. Into the water, into the truth, in your reflection, He lives in you.
I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live but Christ lives in me. Galatians 2:20
Growing up, the Lion King saga was by far my favorite Disney movies. I don't know what it was about them but that's just the way it was. I knew all the words to every song and would watch the movies over and over. Rewind to last night; seeing the first one in 3D. It was as if I was watching my childhood all over again right before my eyes. Last night when I was alone in my room listening to music from the movie, I suddenly remembered my favorite song from the second movie, titled He lives in You.
Sure, it makes sense. A young prodigy in the shadows of her king father. Anywhere she looks, her father is inside her. What occurred to me was that, hey...this is what being in a relationship with Christ is like. That's the sheer beauty of it; everywhere I am He is in me. When I look at myself in the mirror every morning, He's also there looking back at me. Maybe there was a reason that as a child I enjoyed that particular song so much. Maybe that was God trying to tell me something. I didn't understand it then, but I do now.
I will cherish last night for the rest of my life; such a captivating experience to relive wonderful happy times of my youth. But let me tell you; the thoughts that I have included in this blog I will cherish as well. I love that God's works and mysteries are in every aspect of my life, including cherished childhood movies. And now, for your listening pleasure, I have attached our favorite Lion King songs. Enjoy and have a blessed weekend/week to come! :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjfM6NiMGG4 (He Lives in You, from the second movie!) :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOJTCSyvx8 (We Are One, from second movie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOf78z3Hi4U (score from first movie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5uYB9T_GlY (Our favorite...if you don't get goosebumps at 4 minutes onward then you are crazy!)
2 comments:
Man, I love that pic of you two!! Was just reading today that Lion King 3D has surpassed all their box office expectations -- and I think a big part of that is your generation re-living it (and maybe your nostalgic moms and dads too ;) )
B
Which picture??? :)
Yes, it was definitely a more-of-our-generation going to see it kind of thing!!! Although it still gets me that the little kids I saw in the theater were probably living the experience for the first time!
Post a Comment