Kelly: I will begin by offering this disclaimer; these are merely my observations and opinions. I am not putting myself on a pedestal and deeming myself an "expert." But, I feel that what I have seen and heard cannot be unnoticed. I just saw and heard some very heavy duty stuff, and this is my opportunity to process it all. I borrowed a video from one of my professors titled Sicko. I wasn't really sure what to expect. The first half hour (this is a documentary) discussed several US commonfolk who faced current health problems but because of lack of health insurance or flawed insurance were denied medical coverage. The first two examples were no health insurance, and a guy literally HAD TO CHOOSE which of his fingers to reattach. One would cost over 50k, the other just a little over 10k. Which do you think he chose?
There was more to the video, but two parts of this movie disgusted me the most. The first scenario took place in LA, and there was a guy who worked at some sort of free clinic. He was talking about how one day he was watching the cameras and a staff member escorted a confused and disorientated woman inside...while she was still in her hospital garb. Turns out, the staff of the hospital she came from found out she couldn't pay her bills, so they put her in a cab and drove her to the free clinic.
I'm sorry, but....WHAT?!
Oh no, it gets worse. Turns out when the hospital gets wind that patients can't pay their bills, they dump them. Yes, as in put them in a taxi and drop them off.
I'm sorry, but....WHAT?!
Another scenario focused on several 9/11 volunteers who helped victims get found amongst the rubble. I will say this again, these were volunteers...as in...NOT employees. However, because they were not properly protected because they were just you know, trying to do the right thing, they developed some health complications. But because their care was "too expensive" according to their insurance, they could not get the full care that they needed. Cut to....Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. This is where some of the 9/11 terrorists ended up as prisoners. They receive...and I quote straight from the film "top of the line healthcare." Yes, along with France and England and other European countries covered by the NHS (National Health Service), and Canada, they receive FREE HEALTH CARE.
Now I know what you're thinking: You mean to say that TERRORISTS who were responsible for 2,000+ lives over 10 years ago receive BETTER healthcare than average US Citizens?
Yes.
So later, the movie director gets a BOAT, takes these volunteers and boats them from Miami to Guantanamo Bay so they can get some good healthcare. But...according to the media, Cuba is one of our enemies. Or so you thought...the 9/11 volunteers are not only NOT turned away, but they also receive the diagnostic tests, cheaper prescriptions and procedures that some of them needed.
At this point in the movie I was crying. I really was. Not only because the volunteers got the healthcare that they truly deserved, but that they had to go to a "enemy" country to receive it. And they got exactly what they deserved, by golly! It's just appalling that this flawed healthcare is what our country, my country I live in, has come to. Refusing to pay for care, dumping helpless patients, denying people health insurance is just...sick. I can't come up with any other word.
What upsets me the most are two things: number 1, I will be working in this. I can't escape it, unless give up everything I love and have worked hard to build and move to another country. I'd make a heck of a living, but the trade off is higher tax dollars. Hmm...yeah, I'd pay higher tax dollars for free health care. Sign me up. Second, I too am fighting tooth and nail with insurance. Apparently, the rest of my physical therapy that I completed almost a year ago won't be covered until I go to the Billing Department and fill out this form that NOBODY bothered to tell me about. My mom had to call my insurance company.
I apologize that this post is so long, but I feel that we need to read this. And even if you're not a health care professional, PLEASE see this movie in some point during your life. It will change your life, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse. But if nothing, your eyes will be opened wide, as mine are. All I have to close with is this; we can do better.
To close, I would like to give the credit to the movie Sicko and all of the directors, participants and producers. Thank you for opening my eyes. Our country as a whole may not be "the best," but as a future healthcare provider I will do MY best to be THE best.
No comments:
Post a Comment